Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

Thx for the notes Kpiz! The DSP-KY-1 tastes mighty fine to me - it's more "rye" than the 354 and that's a positive in my book.

(And yes, I'm a scotch drinker)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Nice notes Kpiz!! Couldn't agree more - very different whiskies. I'm in the same boat as ChainWhip - while I enjoyed the 354, is seems more like a bourye type mingle (which ain't a bad thing - love bourbon and rye!) I can see how long-time drinkers of Ritt BIB might not care for the change though; very little similarity to my palate.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

What was the reason to make the move from DSP-354 to DSP-1? I've tried searching but haven't come up with anything.

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

Heaven Hill Fire that destroyed their distillery. DSP 354 made it for them, shadow distilled. DSP 1 is HH distillery and now makes it.

Advanced Taster

Thanks guys. Interesting that you both like the DSP1. Maybe I'm holding on too tight to what I think Rittenhouse is supposed to taste like. If I was served DSP1 under a different label, I'd probably like it. The fact that its replacing my beloved 354, rather than joining it as a new offering, may be my real issue

Enthusiast

I tried the DSP 1 today, and it was completely different from what I was expecting. I was not doing a blind tasting, but I poured a sample of it, and a few bourbons to enjoy this afternoon. When I first tasted it, I assumed I grabbed the wrong glass. My first thought was "what the hell did I vat from heaven hill and beam?" The grassy flavor, which Kpiz more accurately described as matcha, just really threw me off.

I like it, I just don't think it tastes anything like the DSP 354.
    "Unless it survived a tornado, weathered a snow storm in Scotland, and then spent a year on boat before returning home, I'm not really interested."

Advanced Taster

Ontario is always late to the game with new releases. The DSP-1 Ritt finally started rolling out here about a month ago.

I did a few side-by-sides, some blind, once from newly opened bottles, then later with some air time on them. I was a huge fan of DSP-354 Ritt, and I had been dreading the switch.

To me, the DSP-354 and the DSP-1 Rittenhouse Ryes are very different.

There were two things that I loved about the old version. First, it never felt like 100 proof when it hit the palate. I always found it very warming, well rounded and easy drinking. Secondly, and unique to this whiskey, there was a background flavour note that I adored. It was always difficult to describe, but anise-liquorice is the closest thing I can think of. If anyone has tasted those little SenSen breath fresheners, you'll know that distinctive taste. I've read others describing a medicine/cough syrup note, which might be this.

Unfortunately for me, both of those features have disappeared in the new version. You definitely taste the alcohol. It hits the tongue very spirit-y hot. And sadly, the anise is gone. In fact there is very little that's distinctive at all about the new rye. Rittenhouse has always been regarded around here as a top shelf flavour with a bottom shelf price. No longer, IMO.

I'm hoping that all is not lost. I remember that it took Heaven Hill a few years to get Elijah Craig back on track after moving the distillation to DSP-1. It's now almost back to its former self. With any luck Rittenhouse will continue to improve the same way.
    trying to walk a straight line,
    on sour mash and cheap wine

Guru

since I know im not the only one who will have to look it up..... matcha is finely ground green tea

Disciple

Thanks 4I, I was too lazy to look it up and to stuborn to ask

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Smithford View Post
    I'm hoping that all is not lost. I remember that it took Heaven Hill a few years to get Elijah Craig back on track after moving the distillation to DSP-1. It's now almost back to its former self. With any luck Rittenhouse will continue to improve the same way.
    A quick look through the thread tells me that not everyone thinks that it's "off track" now. I like both versions about the same, but for pretty different reasons, and plenty of people like the DSP-1 better.