Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: DSP 354 vs DSP 1 Rittenhouse - How's the new stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    Seems no one is reporting the 'earthy' taste I like so much in the DSP-354 when describing the DSP-1. Is it missing or did I just have an unusual batch?
    I don't remember any earthy taste either on both. It could just be my relatively young and untrained palate though. So, others might have tasted that.

Connoisseur

I guess I'll have to revisit. It reminded me of the smell of the air following the first burst of rain, when the dust rises from from the splash of the droplets. Not strong, more a secondary note that remains throughout the bottle.

Connoisseur

We decided to hoard a few cases of 354 and offer both DSPs for as long as possible. Would be fun to have side by side years from now.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by MauiSon View Post
    I guess I'll have to revisit. It reminded me of the smell of the air following the first burst of rain, when the dust rises from from the splash of the droplets. Not strong, more a secondary note that remains throughout the bottle.
    That is interesting indeed. I'll have to look out for that the next time I have a pour of the 354.

Thanks for sharing that!

Guru

This is a good example of how exactly the same production standards whisky, mashbill, yeast, mash cooking temp, fermentation time, that is made in different stills can product a slightly different product.
    Last edited by squire; 08-08-2013 at 15:28.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    This is a good example of how exactly the same production standards whisky, mashbill, yeast, mash cooking temp, fermentation time, that is made in different stills can product a slightly different product.
    Good example for sure, squire. The actual difference is a lot more than I had originally expected. I was actually expecting it to be much closer in end product.

Guru

I would expect some but not a lot, more investigation is needed here.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    ...more investigation is needed here.
    I wholeheartedly agree!
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

I for one, am glad to hear that there seems to be at least some differences in the two. The 354 has simply been too "boubony" for me. Delicious for sure, but lacking a distinguishable rye character to provide me something to hold my interest. I'm hoping that the differences that people are detecting can also be discovered in my own tasting, when I get around to it. One aspect in people's reviews that is giving me hope of a superior rye character in the DSP-1 is a perceived thinner mouthfeel, surprisingly. I find the punchier, spicier, ryier ryes to lack a thick heavy mouthfeel, and the thinness typically is a signal to me of a bolder rye pop to soon hit my palate.
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    I for one, am glad to hear that there seems to be at least some differences in the two. The 354 has simply been too "boubony" for me. Delicious for sure, but lacking a distinguishable rye character to provide me something to hold my interest. I'm hoping that the differences that people are detecting can also be discovered in my own tasting, when I get around to it. One aspect in people's reviews that is giving me hope of a superior rye character in the DSP-1 is a perceived thinner mouthfeel, surprisingly. I find the punchier, spicier, ryier ryes to lack a thick heavy mouthfeel, and the thinness typically is a signal to me of a bolder rye pop to soon hit my palate.
    Good point there Joe. That's definitely one thing I got out of it. 354 tasted more familiar and more "bourbony" and the 1 leans further towards having more characteristics of rye whiskey.