Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye (Lock Stock & Barrel)

Never too early to start wild speculation about a new product is it?

Bringing this over from the Rock & Rye thread.

Quote Originally Posted by joen View Post
    Interesting rumor

Our founder, Robert Cooper, has been a serious rye whiskey enthusiast for a long time - far before rye came back into vogue. Several years ago, we did acquire a healthy stock of straight rye whiskies from multiple sources. Included in this acquisition was an amazing discovery of aged, perfectly matured straight rye. No hyperbole here - we tasted it with some of the most notable folks in the whiskey world, and they tell us it's the best straight rye they've ever had.

One inaccuracy in the rumor is the age of the whiskey. We are not using the same liquid as Whistlepig or Jefferson, but in fact an older and rarer stock. This Fall, we will be releasing a limited expression of this whiskey - a 13 year straight rye, truly robust and complex. I will share more info here as soon as I'm able. We're very excited to see how this community enjoys it!
    Quote Originally Posted by p_elliott View Post
    Now a 13 yr old straight rye is something I could get behind and buy. Waiting to hear more details.
    I too would be interested in trying this. But I thought the WP 11yo 111 was a big reach at $100+ plus so I haven't bought it. I hope this new rye has a decent proof but a more approachable price point as well.

With Jefferson apparently switching to MGPI sourced whiskey I will likely not be as interested in it at the current price point especially considering Willett is already doing cask strength MGPI rye at a pretty decent price. I would likely drink through my Canadian sourced 94pf Jefferson rye at a very reasonable price and even the regular WP 100pf at $60ish before I am forced to consider an alternative.

Heck, I haven't paid $80 for VWFRR (when I could find it of course which isn't very often) and that is one I might be willing to pay $100 for!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Re: Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Never too early to start wild speculation about a new product is it?

Bringing this over from the Rock & Rye thread.

I too would be interested in trying this. But I thought the WP 11yo 111 was a big reach at $100+ plus so I haven't bought it. I hope this new rye has a decent proof but a more approachable price point as well.

With Jefferson apparently switching to MGPI sourced whiskey I will likely not be as interested in it at the current price point especially considering Willett is already doing cask strength MGPI rye at a pretty decent price. I would likely drink through my Canadian sourced 94pf Jefferson rye at a very reasonable price and even the regular WP 100pf at $60ish before I am forced to consider an alternative.

Heck, I haven't paid $80 for VWFRR (when I could find it of course which isn't very often) and that is one I might be willing to pay $100 for!

Thanks for starting this thread - I actually didn't realize it was here! There was something a little unbecoming about starting my own thread for our own product, but I'm hoping a reply here is a bit more palatable

Truth be told, we haven't done any press or events yet, but we've tasted it with some of the heavy hitters in the industry. Of course this industry is a small world, where quotes from friends can be seen as endorsements, so I won't step on any toes and share their feedback prematurely. But I will say that we have a profound respect for the enthusiast community and I wanted to let you know about the product directly from us, before you read it from a stock press release. We just started bottling about two weeks ago and a few cases have shipped to distributors, so slowly but surely you will start seeing it on shelves.

Our whiskey is Lock Stock & Barrel 13 Year Straight Rye Whiskey.

Back in 2007-8, after our founder, Robert Cooper, launched St-Germain, he had a recurring nightmare that he would be forever known as the guy who made the flower liqueur. He pursued his longtime passion for rye whiskey, what he (and many others) consider the original American spirit. This search culminated in a grand discovery of old rye whiskey stocks in the Great White North - rye whiskey in new charred American Oak at Alberta Distilleries (ADL) that is now 13 years old. While he secured these barrels well in advance of anyone else to pursue ADL, we knew that we would be rewarded for tasting regularly through the aging process and tipping the barrels at the optimal time. These really are the honey barrels, the best expression of this hearty northern rye.

We wanted a real whiskeyman's whiskey - 100% rye grain, distilled in copper pot stills, with a master distiller's robust cut. Standing at 101.3 proof, Lock Stock & Barrel features complex but unified notes, resembling salted caramel, toffee, winter spice, and tobacco. We can't wait for you to try it, and I sincerely hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

LSB13.png

Guru

Thanks joen, your openness is refreshing and far preferable to the usual launch releases where we are told everything except what's relevant. The more detail and history you can give us about this new rye whisky the more interest I and I'm sure some other members will have in your product.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

101 proof?!?! You are going to floor the hardcore whiskey enthusiast. I recommend releasing at a more humane 84 proof, heck make it 80!

Guru

Worse things to be known as than the man who made the flower liqueur. That stuff is great!

And thanks for the info on the rye. Much appreciated.

Connoisseur

Thanks for posting about your new product joen. I'm definitely intrigued. Any idea as to recommended MSRP.

Guru

Any word on where initial distribution will occur and if any major internet retailers will be carrying it (for those of us in the backwoods of the Spirits world)? I am ready to try one right now!

If you know the Georgia distributor I am happy to start reaching out to them and advocating for it to be brought to our area.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Sounds great Joen. Love the robust proof and age. Can't wait to get my hands on some!
    bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog

Disciple

This definitely has my interest more than a little piqued now we just wait and see price and area of distribution,either way it's on my radar.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Virtuoso

Very interested and it's become apparent that I really don't enjoy many Bourbons or Ryes under 90 proof.