Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye

TANSTAAFL2 - thanks for the notes, very interesting. I'm definitely a VWFRR fan, don't think I've had that particular Michters. Love that these rarities are finding their way to the market in unusual ways, and I think they could probably charge even more than $118 and get away with it.

Taster

Thanks for the notes, very interesting. Love the VWFRR, but haven't (I dont think) tried that particular Michter's. Great to say these older ryes find their way out to market, and I bet they could charge another $20/bottle and not hurt demand. (I'm not happy about it, but the market seems open to it right now)

Taster

Thanks for those notes, very interesting. I love VWFRR, but havent tried that Michter's (at least I don't think so). Great to see these older ryes finding unusual ways to the market, and I bet they could charge another $20 and not suffer a bit (though I'm not happy about the escalating prices).

Guru

Saw some today ($120) but passed as I hadn't seen this thread . . . yet. After recent other aged rye purchases though, likely have to let it sit for someone else.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Saw some today ($120) but passed as I hadn't seen this thread . . . yet. After recent other aged rye purchases though, likely have to let it sit for someone else.
    If ya hadn't cleared out Seelbach you mean? ;-)

J/K

Thx for the write up
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 09-08-2013 at 17:09.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    If ya hadn't cleared out Seelbach you mean? ;-)
    I WISH I had something to do with that. Never tasted Rathskeller, and now fear I may never have the chance. But scoring some BMH 18yr rye depleted my budget for the rest of this year Unless my number comes up for VWFRR - then all bets are off!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Trying to load some photos of the Lock, Stock and Barrel but I think it is still not working for me. Anybody else having trouble with pictures since the crash?
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Trying to load some photos of the Lock, Stock and Barrel but I think it is still not working for me. Anybody else having trouble with pictures since the crash?
    Host the pic somewhere & use this:

Code:
    IMG
    /IMG

(Tags with [ ] brackets)
    Last edited by ChainWhip; 09-08-2013 at 20:06.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Taster

Spotted some Lock, Stock & Barrel 13 Year Old Rye for $99.99 a bottle in southern California.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The Lock, Stock and Barrel 13yo Rye has landed in Georgia. Picked it up for about $118 at a store that tends to be a few dollars higher than some.

Offered to crack it open in the store but the owner decided to get one for himself and offered to open his own instead. That may be because I had thought to bring a few bottles along for comparison. So we had a mini rye tasting with the new LSB 13yo against WhistlePig 10yo, Michters 10yo (thought to be an 18yo) and Van Winkle rye.

If there were a ready supply of either the Michter's or the VWFRR at the price I paid for each of them ($70-80) there wouldn't be much competition as those two were the better whiskey. But they aren't readily available and they are both a very different style of rye. The WP was a closer comparison and the LSB was easily the better of those two albeit for some $40-50 more.

The LSB was more complex with a lingering finish and plenty of rye spice without any mintyness but perhaps a touch of pine in a good way and maybe a bit of burnt spice on the finish, again in a good way (maybe the lack of filtering). The WP by comparison was softer and had less spice and depth.

Of course this wasn't a blind test which would be the ideal way to taste it. Can't seem to upload pictures as one of the many aspects of the boards current malady but the bottle is a very intensly dark color with a faceted type cut along the neck a bit like a baby saz bottle. Quite attractive.

The label is quite chatty but I noted that there was no mention of Canada to be found on anywhere on the label.
    Appears the pictures I loaded yesterday were victims of the hack. Trying once more!

LSB 13a.jpegLSB 13b.jpeglsb 13c.jpeglsb 13d.jpeg
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum