Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Cooper Spirits new 13yo Rye

Any other opinions on this one? Saw a bottle yesterday for $99 but passed on it due to the price/lack of info about it.

Guru

Price sounds fair. If you've ever had any AP stuff then I'd say you'd know what to expect, but that's pure spec on my part.

Connoisseur

Saw a bottle today for $125.99 here in Georgia.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Saw a bottle today for $125.99 here in Georgia.
    Have seen several at $125-130 locally. I liked it but have a couple and so probably not getting anymore at present. Price seems a little high but sadly that is where the market is currently. About $100 would be a decent deal to me.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Found a bottle tonight. After reading these reviews, I'm going back for it tomorrow.

Connoisseur

Best canadian rye I have had, but I can't afford the bottle. Comparing two 13 yr ryes... VW and this.... the VW wins hands down and price and taste.
    Bourbon only requires a glass.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by brettckeen View Post
    Best canadian rye I have had, but I can't afford the bottle. Comparing two 13 yr ryes... VW and this.... the VW wins hands down and price and taste.
    True, but only if you can find the VWFRR! I have two that I paid close to retail for which combined were only a little more than a single LS&B. But they are the only two I have seen for sale locally in the past 3 years. I can get two of the LS&B tomorrow!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Novice

Very good rye! I bought two bottles and I am half way through one of them. Paid 100$ per. Wish the price point was a little less but a great rye IMO!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    The LSB was more complex with a lingering finish and plenty of rye spice without any mintyness but perhaps a touch of pine in a good way and maybe a bit of burnt spice on the finish, again in a good way (maybe the lack of filtering). The WP by comparison was softer and had less spice and depth.
    After a Laphroaig tasting last night that the local whiskey monger put on with brand ambassador Simon Brookings, a man passionate about what he does, I was offered the chance to sample some LSB that he had sitting up in the office, which was good because I needed a chaser to help cleanse the palate a bot from th previous intensity of the evening.

His sample bottle was the standard small flask sized bottle, that i've seen used with other distillery samples, maybe 4-6 ounce size, flat and clear glass. Deep golden/amber in color, quick attractive in the glass, but not nearly as dark as I thought for the age.

Given the bottle a quick light shake, viscous, hugely viscous, syrupy thick. Pouring it confirmed it more, reminded me of pouring Hirsch 2x YO ryes. impossibly thick.

I did pick up some mint nosing, fleeting and hidden in the aroma, but it dashed in and out sight. Bold classic rye like others of it's pedigree, I'm referring to the other current family resemblance, WP, Jeff's rye and Masterson's, etc...

Tasting, no mint, but spice, pine, and resin immediately came to the mind, need a another sample and time to get more out of it.

Was it bad, no, was it what I was expecting, hard to say. It's clear that it's nothing like the many old American ryes, VWFRR, Saz, Hirsch, etc..., or younger, Handy, Baby Saz, Willett, the all rye Canadians are clearly different.

That being said, I am going to pony up for at least a bottle, I liked it more than the current other Canadians that I've had.

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Have seen several at $125-130 locally. I liked it but have a couple and so probably not getting anymore at present. Price seems a little high but sadly that is where the market is currently. About $100 would be a decent deal to me.
    It's amazing that we are getting accustomed to or think $100 is normal. They ahve won.