Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Virtuoso

Re: Mingle Aging Experiment

It is certainly an interesting experiment. Personally, I am in the camp that mingle time doesn't have that big of a difference. However, what I believe has a huge difference is oxidation time. From what I am reading about your experiment, you are not only measuring mingle time, but also oxidation time, especially if the sample bottles had a fair proportion of air in them. To really isolate the effect of mingle time, you would need to also ensure each sample had the same amount of oxidation time, which would mean you have to pull the later samples at the same time as the first test, but only mix at the designated time.

I will tell you what though, I appreciate the time spent on experimenting on this stuff. These things really can affect the way a whiskey tastes at various times.
    Hope is subversive, for it limits the grandiose pretensions of the present by calling into existence the possibility of something better.

Guru

Re: Mingle Aging Experiment

Quote Originally Posted by kickert View Post
    It is certainly an interesting experiment. Personally, I am in the camp that mingle time doesn't have that big of a difference. However, what I believe has a huge difference is oxidation time. From what I am reading about your experiment, you are not only measuring mingle time, but also oxidation time, especially if the sample bottles had a fair proportion of air in them. To really isolate the effect of mingle time, you would need to also ensure each sample had the same amount of oxidation time, which would mean you have to pull the later samples at the same time as the first test, but only mix at the designated time.

I will tell you what though, I appreciate the time spent on experimenting on this stuff. These things really can affect the way a whiskey tastes at various times.
    I was using 375 mL bottles (so 2 ounces in each left 80%+ empty), although the Vacu-Vin caps take a bit of the air out (which I used mainly to keep the caps secure). I have some 1 oz jars (those goofy jam/jelly jars that come in gift baskets), and could try a small portion that has very little air to see what happens, although I agree - I don't think the time has a big impact past 1 day.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins