Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Bourbon in India

I was curious if anyone knew what bourbon if any was exported to India. We have a lab in India and the head is over here training and I thought it might be nice to spread some bourbon cheer. Just wanted to send something that cannot be found over there. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Guru

Re: Bourbon in India

Don't have any first hand info but the owner and employees of a store I frequent are from India and/or have family there and go back on a regular basis. They noted import tax on liquor is high making most American imports very expensive and as a result somewhat limited. The usual players like Jack and Jim are there but not a lot else.

I found this New Delhi liquor store website. Click on the bourbon link and it shows what they have. The standard Jack black is over $50 based on exchange rates.

I've got no idea what "Bulleit Bourbon Scotch Whisky" is...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

English as a second language is tricky.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    English as a second language is tricky.
    Based on my experience English as a first language is tricky! I am however fluent in Southern and can get by in American. Which generally has only a passing resemblance to (the Queen's) English...
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

Winston Churchill commented the British and the Americans are a kindred people separated by a common language.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Based on my experience English as a first language is tricky!

Apparently, they don't teach English anymore here.....or math......or ethics.....or....anything

Advanced Taster

Bourbon selection in India is going to be limited to Jim Beam for the reasons stated above. It is a pain to even find that.

Connoisseur

Bourbon in India

Thanks everyone for your input. I appreciate it. Now I'm trying to decide between sending a WT RB or HW Double Rye.

Guru

I would think WT carries a name that is more likely to be recognized and appreciated, whether or not they care much for the contents. Given the likely limited experience with American whiskey in general a rye might be more difficult for them to appreciate and it seems less likely they would recognize the HW name.

Taster

While we're on the topic, what bourbon goes best with curry?