Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Vinturi spirits aerator?

Anyone here own one/used one? What are your thoughts?

Connoisseur

Re: Vinturi spirits aerator?

My wife loves their wine aerator. I've poured whiskey through it, but have never done a side by side. Not sure what differences may be between the wine and liquor versions.

Connoisseur

I keep one in my lab for barrel samples. It really opens the whiskey up.

Disciple

I can tell you, it certainly changes the profile. Night and day. We did a blind tasting of 4 whisky's, without knowing about the aerator. We all thought the tasting was of 8 malts. Not good, not bad, just different.

Advanced Taster

We have one that came with a full set (Red, White, Spirit). It does a really good job of opening some of the bottles and has less impact on others. We use it mostly for freshly open dusties and wheaters. We have found that they do much better with some air and the Vinturi does a solid job of providing it. The differences are subtle though and it doesn't make a profound difference to the juice. If you are one who enjoys blind tastings and exploring the subtleties, then its a really fun tool. If you're looking to turn bad juice good, it won't help.

Enthusiast

Outstanding response fellas, great spread of information.
    My expectation is that it could help open up the higher proof whisky faster without adding water.
    If i can find one at a good price its coming home with me.

Virtuoso

We have used a red wine aerator to good effect with some Bourbon dusties. Giving the partly empty bottle a vigorous extended shaking seems to help wake up some dusties that have been snoozing too long in the bottle too.

I read an article about aerating wines with a blender. Did an experiment with half a bottle blended and half not, blinded my wife and I both chose the blended as better. Haven't tried it with whiskey, but it might save you whatever the spirits aerator costs (more money to buy bourbon!).

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFlyer View Post
    We have one that came with a full set (Red, White, Spirit). It does a really good job of opening some of the bottles and has less impact on others... The differences are subtle though and it doesn't make a profound difference to the juice.
    That's about what my family and I have found using it on wine.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Advanced Taster

I have the spirits and the red wine Vinturi. The main difference between the two is the spirits model has a button to release the liquid so you can measure a shot.

I find that it can make a huge difference depending on the whiskey. It can really smooth out some harsh, newly opened bottles. I find it works exceptionally well with OGD BIB/114 and FRSB bottles (regular, LE and private barrel selection). Less so with bottles like Weller 12 and most 80 proofers.

A friend of mine tried using both in sequence and repeating multiple times. Place the spirits on top of the red wine, pour a shot and let it aerate through both. Dump the juice back in the repeat 2 or more times. It REALLY changes some whiskeys, and usually for the better.