Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Apprentice

Howdy from Montreal.

Howdy!

I'm a little bit tardy on this one, but I got busy for a spell. For anyone that is interested, I'm an American ex-pat here in Montreal. The SAQ (the provincial government wholesaler, distributor and retailer) has a lousy selection of bourbons (about 45 skus) which I am trying to get expanded. It's tough slogging and slow going, but it is going. Back in February they actually had five (5) bottles of Pappy Van Winkle (apologies, I'm not a big fan of abbreviations) for sale.

I'm also on the board of our local whiskey club, called strangely enough, Whisky Montreal and do the presentations on North American whiskeys. I'm going to post my most recent presentation over in the general discussion, because I really would love to get some feedback on it, so that my next one will be better.
    Last edited by Zeke; 08-06-2013 at 08:35.

Connoisseur

Re: Howdy from Montreal.

Hey Dude! Parlay Vous Bourbon???? I guess so, eh? Great to have a voice of sense up there in the great French-Canadian North.
    Good to have you on the board. I look forward to the posts you'll be doing soon. Have FUN!!! (Good Luck with the powers that be.)
    My bride and I visited friends of hers a few years ago ( well, a dozen or so) up in Montreal. They took us to a place where we scored the veeeeeery best bagels I've ever had.... fresh baked at this small place on a busy commercial street. Lovely!

Guru

Welcome aboard Zeke.

Guru

Welcome to SB Zeke! What are some of your current fav pours?
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Apprentice

Howdy!

Currently, because I am temporarily having some cash flow issues, I'm drinking Jim Beam white label ($37.25 for a 40 oz.) because it is cheap. My consistent go-to for impressive and impressing occasions is Booker's ($60 for 750 ml). Pretty much because I had a Jones for it for seven years and when I was finally able to taste it, it was even better than I anticipated.

Back in the late 80s, my grandfather had been given a bottle of Booker's by a friend just before he died. As a consequence it never got opened. This was back when the whole box was made out of wood... One day I noticed it in the liquor cabinet and asked my grandmother if I could have a taste. She said I needed to ask the family friend who had given it to my grandfather. I did and he said yes. However in the interim, my grandmother had changed her mind and said words to the effect of "over my dead body..." I continued to visit my grandmother about twice or three times per year (she lived in NYC, not Montreal). Each time I would gaze fondly and lovingly at that bottle of Booker's. After seven years, my grandmother died. After the funeral, I realized that the only remaining authority figures were my mom and my uncle. I asked and not only did they say "yes." But they requested to have some a well. After finally having a sip, I was amazed that not only was it extremely good, but that it had been able to out do my seven year old expectations.

My current fancy favorite is Four Roses Single Barrel, a friend purchased two bottles for me in Ontario ($45 for 750 ml). But I haven't cracked either one open yet. Previously I would have as many as a dozen different bottles open at a time. But now I find that I prefer to only have one bottle open at a time so that I can really concentrate on it. When I can I replace the empty as it is finished. I also have a more than passing interest in Canadian whiskies. But don't know them as well as I know my Americans.

If anybody is interested, I posted over here my presentation I did for our local whiskey club on stuff available in Quebec from Buffalo Trace.

Guru

Hard to go wrong with FRSB! Or many of the offerings from Buffalo Trace!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins