Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Disciple

Store shelf space

Just curious to see how much dealer shelf space Bourbon has in different areas. In my corner of the world I'd estimate the Bourbon/Rye selections amount to about 10% max. similar to Canadian whiskey, rum, & gin. Vodka is definitely #1, closely followed by tequila, and scotch 3rd.

Enthusiast

Re: Store shelf space

it varies store to store as far as I can tell

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by RVTsteve View Post
    I agree. I believe Eric and others can provide more insight. In the major stores that I visit (excluding beer and wine, and behind the counter), it seems like vodka, tequila, scotch and then rum and bourbon (about the same). Of course, I tend to visit stores that stock more bourbons

Will vary greatly by region.

Wine sections should be the biggest (if you include all wines).

Vodka is the universal liquor and everywhere should have a fairly large amount of shelf space allotted to vodka. Not to mention the nnnnneeeevvveeerrrr ending parade of flavors.

Tequila/Rum/Bourbon/Scotch/other whiskey sections will trade places for second place depending on the region.

Bourbon is #2 for us behind vodka. If you count scotch/canadian/blends/bourbon as one section, then that is #1.

Most standard liquor stores in Delaware and Maryland only carry Beam products, so I guess the actual space would be around 2-3%.. Larger stores with expanded brands probably total 5% bourbon and a few particularly whiskey heavy stores might even reach 10%.. The best bourbon selection I have seen was in a Joe Canals in NJ and had over 150 different bottlings but given the size of the store it was still only 5% or so

Guru

Agree. I've seen some stores with 5 shelves, 8 ft worth of bourbon, and others with an entire aisle dedicated to bourbon/rye whiskey.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    The best bourbon selection I have seen was in a Joe Canals in NJ and had over 150 different bottlings but given the size of the store it was still only 5% or so
    note to self: michaelturtle1 has already been to Joe Canals, don't waste time. (I'm going to be back East in a couple weeks and trying to get in some hunting.)

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    Vodka is the universal liquor and everywhere should have a fairly large amount of shelf space allotted to vodka. Not to mention the nnnnneeeevvveeerrrr ending parade of flavors.
    Found a tax stamped Benchmark behind a bottle of coconut flavored Shmirnoff today. go figure.

note to self: michaelturtle1 has already been to Joe Canals, don't waste time. (I'm going to be back East in a couple weeks and trying to get in some hunting.)
    Sweet, look me up when you get out here and I can show you around...

Disciple

Found a tax stamped Benchmark behind a bottle of coconut flavored Shmirnoff today. go figure.
    Haha...I wonder if someone was trying to stash it until they came back or the retailer just doesn't care.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by michaelturtle1 View Post
    Sweet, look me up when you get out here and I can show you around...
    If I make it down to Jersey or Philly I will, might be stuck in the Finger Lakes region.

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Haha...I wonder if someone was trying to stash it until they came back or the retailer just doesn't care.
    definitely owner fail. the guy was a character but also it just wasn't the kind of store that thinks about product placement. Every time I asked about a bottle of bourbon he tried to give me a bottle of something next to it like Captain Morgan Private Stock or gin or midori.