Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Taster

Perfect Manhattan Combination?

Wainwright got me hooked on Manhattan's, so now I'm curious what peoples perfect version consists of. Right now I'm experimenting with different vermouths using Dickel Rye as the Base whiskey and Peychauds for the bitters using a 2 part rye to 1 part Vermouth ratio.

I did M&R and Cinzana side by side last night and thought they were really close, I had trouble naming a favorite of the two but probably leaning toward Cinzano. I have Noilly Pratt and Cocchi on deck next.

Disciple

Re: Perfect Manhattan Combination?

I enjoy the GDR for Manhattan's but I use a 3 to 1 ratio

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Saying "Perfect" Manhattan tends to bring up the notion of using half red and half white vermouth along with the rye or other spirit. This is an ongoing theme on some cocktail boards.

A recipe from Chris Amrault on another board in his pursuit of the "perfect" Manhattan.

2 oz Henry McKenna bourbon
    1/2 oz Punt e Mes
    1/2 oz Dolin dry
    dash Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters
    dash half-n-half orange bitters (half Regan's, half Fee's)

I haven't tried it yet and I tend to be a bit of a purist snob, preferring rye in a Manhattan, but it sounds tasty!

Also suggested on that site are the following (the Whisper is a favorite);

Whisper
    1 oz Handy Rye (you need less with an overproof spirit)
    1 oz Dolin Dry
    1 oz Carpano Antica

Not part of the original recipe but I tend to add a smidge of bitters, whether it be Orange, Angostura, Fee Whiskey Barrel aged or Bookers bitters. To each his own!

A couple of suggestions that use a similar formula but drift a bit from the traditional.

Affinity: 1 oz The Macallan Cask, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Carpano Vermouth, 1 dash angostura. Lemon Twist.

Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    I went to 2 to 1 to get a better feel for the different vermouths.

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Saying "Perfect" Manhattan tends to bring up the notion of using half red and half white vermouth along with the rye or other spirit. This is an ongoing theme on some cocktail boards.

A recipe from Chris Amrault on another board in his pursuit of the "perfect" Manhattan.

2 oz Henry McKenna bourbon
    1/2 oz Punt e Mes
    1/2 oz Dolin dry
    dash Jerry Thomas Decanter bitters
    dash half-n-half orange bitters (half Regan's, half Fee's)

I haven't tried it yet and I tend to be a bit of a purist snob, preferring rye in a Manhattan, but it sounds tasty!

Also suggested on that site are the following (the Whisper is a favorite);

Whisper
    1 oz Handy Rye (you need less with an overproof spirit)
    1 oz Dolin Dry
    1 oz Carpano Antica

Not part of the original recipe but I tend to add a smidge of bitters, whether it be Orange, Angostura, Fee Whiskey Barrel aged or Bookers bitters. To each his own!

A couple of suggestions that use a similar formula but drift a bit from the traditional.

Affinity: 1 oz The Macallan Cask, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Carpano Vermouth, 1 dash angostura. Lemon Twist.

Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.
    Looks like some fun recipes I will have to try them out.

Disciple

I prefer higher rye bourbon in a Manhattan. You can look at the cocktail threads and probably find some good recipes.

I usually just mix whatever bourbon (typically a lower end or less desirable choice neat) 2:1 or 3:1 with sweet vermouth (Martini) and bitters (Angostura). I sometimes add a Marischino cherry. I shake it rather than stir.

Disciple

Bruce is kind of the cocktail king,I'm sure if he threw those out there every damn one of them is going to be pretty stellar.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

Perfect: equal parts sweet and dry vermouth

Half-Perfect: 3:1 sweet to dry vermouth

Try to get some Vya too. Stuff is pricey but tasty.

My perfect manhattan, served to me a couple weeks ago at the bar by my good buddy: 4:1:1 BMH16, Punt y Mes, Dolin Blanc. Fee's rhubarb bitters on the stir, fee's whiskey barrel bitters on the chilled glass, garnished with a luxardo cherry. Mind blown.

Disciple

I'm going to try that equal part thing tonight, well except the rye won't be equal

Taster

Ya I didn't mean perfect as in the half and half vermouth unless that is your favorite, I should have titled it favorite recipe, as I'm sure many of you have played around with different combination trying to come up with one that is extra special.

I'm sure everyone has a favorite go to recipe they like. I'm drinking Buffalo Trace 3 parts, 1 part M&R, 3 dashes of Angostura right now just to try a different recipe, its a solid mix, but the sweetness is a bit high.

I have some Carpano Antica coming Friday, so I'm saving the Cocchi and Noilly for the weekend so I can try all three against each other once.