Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Perfect Manhattan Combination?

Any of you guys ever use Fee Brothers bitters in your Manhattans? I think it works quite nicely for something a little different. I know they also have a barrel aged bitters that I am interested to try.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by c.dono View Post
    Any of you guys ever use Fee Brothers bitters in your Manhattans? I think it works quite nicely for something a little different. I know they also have a barrel aged bitters that I am interested to try.
    Fee Bros are fairly common and I have used several including the barrel aged and the aromatic old fashioned bitters which is a little similar to Angostura. They generally work nicely in most cocktails. The knock on Fee is that they are not alcohol based but instead glycerine and propylene glycol based. You don't typically use that much so not sure how much that matters. They kind of have a bitters for every occasion.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Taster

In my Qwest for perfection I have found a cheap combo I really liked in an effort to use up some vermouth. Very Old Barton 6year BIB 2parts, M&R Sweet 1 part, 3 dashes peychauds. For whatever reason I found this combo really hit the spot with me. Not as good as say the Carpano/Rittenhouse combo, but for cheap ingredients is pretty dang good.

Advanced Taster

Here is my "perfect" recipe:

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye
    1 oz bourbon (I have experimented with Weller 12 and Old Forester Signature)
    1 oz Carpano Anitica Vermouth
    .24 oz Campari
    2 dashes of Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters (I recently did 1 day Whiskey barrel and 1 dash Orange)

Then I barrel age it for about 30 days.

Mmmm Mmmmm

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Renegator View Post
    Here is my "perfect" recipe:

1 oz Rittenhouse Rye
    1 oz bourbon (I have experimented with Weller 12 and Old Forester Signature)
    1 oz Carpano Anitica Vermouth
    .24 oz Campari
    2 dashes of Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters (I recently did 1 day Whiskey barrel and 1 dash Orange)

Then I barrel age it for about 30 days.

Mmmm Mmmmm
    could you review the barrel aged bitters? I currently prefer the bitter truth old fashion aromatic but wonder about the barrel aged. I like a ratio of 5oz booze to 3oz carpano or cocci with bitter truth. oh, and don't forget the luxardo cherry and lemon oil on the rim.

Connoisseur

Here is my go to Manhattan:

2.5 oz Sazerac Rye
    1 oz Nolly Prat Rouge
    4 dashes Pechyaud's
    Luxardo cherry with a bit of syrup

I don't really like Angostura bitters, and find the Sazerac to be just right for my tastes. Need to try the Handy variant!
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Taster

I think my favorite has become
    2oz Rittenhouse
    1oz Carpana
    3 dashes angostura

After not being able to get any Sazerac for many months I finally picked up a fresh bottle yesterday and made this combination.
    2oz Sazerac Rye
    1/2oz Cinzano Sweet
    1/2oz Cinzano Dry
    3 dashes of Angostura
    It was very, very good, could become my other go to.

Advanced Taster

I like to make my manhattans is with a 5:1 ratio of rye to vermouth. My ideal is made with Willett 4yr rye but I'm happy to use any rye or high rye bourbon (tonight's was made with OGD 114). I also like a good 3 dashes of Angostura and a single cherry if I happen to have any around.

I actually just finished a my current bottle of Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth and would appreciate some input on something different to replace it with. Thanks in advance for your input!

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by jersey12 View Post
    I actually just finished a my current bottle of Martini & Rossi sweet vermouth and would appreciate some input on something different to replace it with. Thanks in advance for your input!
    I like Carpano Antica.
    Last edited by JKLS; 10-25-2013 at 01:30. Reason: typo

Advanced Taster

This:
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.
    And this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wryguy View Post
    My perfect manhattan, served to me a couple weeks ago at the bar by my good buddy: 4:1:1 BMH16, Punt y Mes, Dolin Blanc. Fee's rhubarb bitters on the stir, fee's whiskey barrel bitters on the chilled glass, garnished with a luxardo cherry. Mind blown.
    Both sound fantastic. @Wryguy, were the whiskey barrel bitters a wash or on the rim?

Right now I am drinking a decent Manhattan, made of some "leftovers". I had 2oz of Dad's Hat Vermouth Finished Rye left in a (sealed) glass from the other night while I browsing this thread, figured I would turn it into something.

2oz Dad's Hat Vermouth Finished Rye
    0.5oz Flor de Cana 7yo Rum
    0.5oz THH Sazerac Rye
    0.75oz Carpano Antica Vermouth
    2 dashes Scrappy's Aromatic Bitters (my bitters selection is getting critically low)
    Brandied cherry as garnish

I added the THH for some balls. The Dad's Hat isn't bad at 94 proof, but I usually use 100 proof bourbon as my base so I figured, why the hell not. I didn't love it at first, but it is growing on me. My standard of late (as best as I can remember) has been 2oz OGD BIB, .75oz Carpano Antica, .5oz Flor de Cana 7yo, plus bitters/cherries/etc.