Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Perfect Manhattan Combination?

Quote Originally Posted by JKLS View Post
    I like Carpano Antica.
    Thanks JKLS, I'll check it out.

Connoisseur

Check out Dolin and Nolly Pratt also, both good vermouths. I can get Nolly Pratt locally, but have to travel to find Dolin and Carpano Antica.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Advanced Taster

I like Willet FE Rye 110 proofer in Manhattans. Although I made one with Handy the other night that was excellent, it just seems excessively luxurious.

For me, I usually like 3-4:1 Rye to Vermouth. Right now I'm using Cocchi Torino, which I think is great. I also prefer a thick orange twist to maraschino cherry, but that's just me

Usual Recipe:

2 oz Willet FE Rye
    0.75 oz Cocchi Torino
    2 dashes Angostura

Stir over ice, strain into coupe and then a wide peel of orange (1 x 2 in) twist over the top and rubbed on the rim

Enthusiast

I am intrigued by tanstaafl2 and his smokey mezcal rinse, this is something that definitely warrants further experimentation and my sincerest of thank yous goes out to you mate.

Played about 3hrs of basketball this arvo (sunday) and my body is about to explode, after a bunch of water i enjoyed a:

Perfect manhattan
    2oz EC12
    0.5oz noilly sweet
    O.5oz noilly dry
    4 dashes agno orange bitters

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Ashtray Heart: 1 oz Smith & Cross, 1 oz Dolin Dry or Noilly Prat Vermouth, 1 oz Punt e Mes. Rinse glass with smoky Mezcal.
    I was a bar the other night where they had all of these and I knew the bartender. He made me one. He hated it. My girlfriend who loves cocktails, bourbon, mezcal, smoke, etc also hated it.
    I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by onemorepour View Post
    I am intrigued by tanstaafl2 and his smokey mezcal rinse, this is something that definitely warrants further experimentation and my sincerest of thank yous goes out to you mate.
    And since I do not have any of the original ingredients, tonight I am drinking a variant. What started as a perfect Manhattan and then transitioned to a rum based version is now coming full circle.

1oz THH Sazerac Rye
    1oz Carpano Antica
    1oz Dolin Dry
    2 dashes Bitter End BBQ Bitters
    Lagavulin 16 wash

Not half bad.

Guru

I was a bar the other night where they had all of these and I knew the bartender. He made me one. He hated it. My girlfriend who loves cocktails, bourbon, mezcal, smoke, etc also hated it.
    I loved it.
    It is definitely one for the dry, smokey crowd. Not an every day drink to be sure but every now and again t is just the thing. Comes from the Beta Cocktail book which is full of little oddities like this!

And since I do not have any of the original ingredients, tonight I am drinking a variant. What started as a perfect Manhattan and then transitioned to a rum based version is now coming full circle.

1oz THH Sazerac Rye
    1oz Carpano Antica
    1oz Dolin Dry
    2 dashes Bitter End BBQ Bitters
    Lagavulin 16 wash

Not half bad.
    Experimentation, as Martha would say, is a good thing!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Any of you guys try Vya vermouth in your Manhattans or other cocktails? Interested to know how it is.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by c.dono View Post
    Any of you guys try Vya vermouth in your Manhattans or other cocktails? Interested to know how it is.
    Great! It's a bit pricier than other options, but it tastes less processed and fresher in its spiciness. That and Dolin and Cocchi are my mainstays for Manhattans. It's definitely deep, rich stuff.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by c.dono View Post
    I love Vya vermouth. That and Punt e mes are my go-to for sweet vermouth. Punt e mes has a bitter flavor that I like.

There's a lot of good cocktails with vermouth, Campari, Cynar, etc.

I just opened my first Carpano Antica and made a Vieux Carré with it (Sazerac Rye and E&J VSOP). Pretty good stuff.

Advanced Taster

Just had my first manhattan made with Carpano Antica. Definitely noticed the vermouth more than I ever had before using martini & rossi and I'm pretty sure I liked it but will have to conduct further tests .