Do people experience day-to-day variation in the taste of juice from the same bottle? Do any of you ever have "off" days with your sense of taste? I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to tasting bourbon or other spirits.

I bought my first ever bottle of Old Forester Signature last weekend, had some Sunday night and loved it. Every sip was a delight. Then, last night I did a blind tasting of OFS, Jim Beam Black, Evan Williams Black and Woodford Reserve. JBB was my least favorite, hard to describe but it had a fairly unpleasant characteristic. OFS was my second least favorite, it was less offensive than the JBB but not exactly enjoyable. I would rate the WR "ok" at best (but a little better than OFS or JBB). Believe it or not, if I had to declare a favorite it would be EWB. Now it was not particularly exciting or complex but it was the most pleasant tasting of the 4.

To sum it up, everything I tasted Sunday night was delicious and everything I tasted last night was "unpleasant" to "decent"

It could have been the fact that I was tasting it blind (which, I believe CAN have a significant effect) or the fact that there was 48 hours of airtime in the bottle (I'm guessing the effect wouldn't be that pronounced but feel free to disagree) or else my sense of taste was just off that night. I'm hoping it is the latter! I want to like Old Forester Signature! I hope the fact that I WANT to like it is not the reason that I enjoyed it Sunday night!

Taste is a strange sense! For me at least...

I'll have to try some another time and report back...