Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Day-To-Day Variation In Taste?

Absolutely. Last night I poured a little Ritt BIB, and it tasted acrid and dry. I tried something else to no avail, and gave up. I had some ginger snaps an hour or so before and wouldn't be surprised if they had impacted the taste buddies, but as others have pointed out - lots of factors.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Another example from last night...I bought a 375ml bottle of Rare Breed to try and the first drink I had, maybe a few weeks ago, was fairly tasty. Then, maybe a week ago I had another drink from that bottle and it had this AWFUL aftertaste that I could not get out of my mouth! It was perhaps the worst taste I have ever gotten from any bourbon. I have tasted this in other bourbons but it is usually much, much milder, barely noticeable. I have no idea what it is or how to describe it...it's not too unpleasant if it is in the background but there was just TOO MUCH OF IT that night with the RB.

Anyway, I poured myself 1.25 oz. again last night to give it another "shot"...and it tasted absolutely delicious. So tasty that I had to pour myself a little more (maybe 3/4 oz.) before bed! If the next experience with RB is similar to last night, a 750 ml bottle will be in my house in the near future.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by TheNovaMan View Post
    I think the more often I drink bourbon, the more consistent my palate is.
    The more I drink bourbon, the more I know I can't trust my palate at all. It varies too much to be reliable. As others have noted, the same bottle can yield widely varying responses over time. Of course, I'm a patient man and know that things will eventually right themselves. It's never bad--just different from day to day.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Advanced Taster

I agree with all the external factors. Nobody mentioned once you open a bottle the flavor will change because of oxidation. The more you drink the more in air the bottle the flavor continues to evolve, or open up.

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Advanced Taster

I have huge variations from day to day that I think are due to a wide number of variables. Sleep, stress, diet, etc. I always taste things 3-4 times over several days before making any huge decisions.

Day-To-Day Variation In Taste?

I am lucky enough to live in the Ohio valley. About 80% of the days I take some form of allergy medication. Sudafed being the most common.

Many days I can't taste a thing.

Our palates are an evolving and changing animal. Even the most distinguished can be fooled with ease. (See wine experts trying to distinguish whites from reds).

I think this is also why one taste of a bourbon is not enough to cast judgement. Mood, diet, environment and oxidation all play a huge role.

Guru

Eric after a certain age casting judgment is a Constitutional Right.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Absolutely. Last night I poured a little Ritt BIB, and it tasted acrid and dry. I tried something else to no avail, and gave up. I had some ginger snaps an hour or so before and wouldn't be surprised if they had impacted the taste buddies, but as others have pointed out - lots of factors.
    Haha...ginger snaps is how I cleanse my palate. I usually have mixed nuts or ginger snaps when I drink bourbon. I had Chinese carryout tonight before the Chelsea-Inter-Milan soccer match. My dish had jalepenos in it. I used ginger snaps to cleanse my palate.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    I think this is also why one taste of a bourbon is not enough to cast judgement.
    True, that.
    Yet that is exactly how many (most?) bloggers/writers review whisk(e)y.

Enthusiast

This thread is pure gold for me, the last couple days i have been battling with a newly opened bottle of Ritt BIB and wondering why a whiskey i had previously loved has turned to a whiskey that honestly tastes like someone has poured dirt into the bottle, and now, a week later, it is tasting pretty good.
    I have to agree with all the posts about mood, stress, palate etc, sometimes i want to enjoy a bourbon but cant, i have a pour and it tastes average, Ipour a better whiskey and experience the same
    I usually give up and mix a sazerac with extra absinthe to force my palate into submission.
    Last edited by onemorepour; 08-02-2013 at 07:16.