Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Apprentice

Re: Day-To-Day Variation In Taste?

Last week I sat down with a friend to enjoy some WTRB. It was awful! It had a chemical taste and aftertaste to it. I was so disappointed.It was so bad I had to stop myself from reassessing why it was I liked bourbon. My friend also had the same experience. I then tried some Rittenhouse Rye and some Weller 12 after that. All tasted bad. I guess I just didn't figure out to give it up for the evening. It took me almost a full day to figure out that we both had eaten some stuffed jalapeno peppers for supper and I remembered reading on this site spicy food can affect your taste buds. I was surprised that a couple of hours later it could be so bad. I've also figured out (the hard way) that nasal spray will ruin me for at least 4 or 5 hours. It was a pleasant relief when I tried some EC the next night and it tasted wonderful.

Disciple

My biggest issue is summertime allergies and the direct correlation of the olfactory senses and greatly effecting my palate on a day to day basis.I often just shift to beer for weeks on end as I give in to mother nature and just let it take its course till I come back around.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Connoisseur

I deal with this often as well.

Depending on the day, my constantly-stocked EWB seems to switch from a subtle cherry sweetness, to a dry woody bite. I prefer the sweet 'version', but the dry wood doesn't fall into the off-taste or simply bad category. Air does seem to play a part in this, at least a bit, because it usually starts out sweet and then as the bottle empties, I get more of the wood. Don't recall it ever being the other way around, anyway.

With EC12, I had the opposite experience... Started off very woody and ethanol-ish, but with about 3 weeks time to open up, I got more of the chocolate notes that it's known for.

The only truly weird variant I had was with Beam Black (and I've mentioned it several times before, people are probably sick of hearing it). It was sugary sweet the first night... then a few nights later I tried it again, and all I could get was waaaay overly bitter wood. Never got any sweetness out of it again. Even my wife agreed about the sweetness the first night I tried it (and she hates whiskey), so I know I'm not completely crazy.

I wonder what the ratio of physical oxidation vs palate-change is for my experience. I just write it off as 50/50 and go along for the ride.
    Last edited by JPBoston; 08-04-2013 at 15:00.

I must add...forget about day-to-day variation...last night I experienced sip-to-sip variation!
    I was doing a blind comparison of VOB BiB and 1792 Ridgemont Reserve because they're from the same distillery.
    I poured myself a standard shot of each and for the first half, I preferred the RR, as the VOB had a slightly "off" taste to me. By the end, however, especially the last couple sips, VOB was the clear winner.
    So either...I lost track of them (I doubt it) or something changed with my taste sometime after I started drinking!

In any case, I am happy to prefer a bourbon that costs (locally) under $25 for a 1.75L over a bourbon that costs $28/750ml!!!

Guru

What I expect happened is the air got to them enough let the whisky breathe and grow. The early century salesmen for Jack Daniels were taught to sell the whisky by giving the merchant samples of the competitor's whiskys first. The sales rep would pour some Jack then set it aside to breathe while he served the customer drinks from the competition. After a half hour of talking and stalling he would hand over the Jack Daniels which had been allowed to mingle with air.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by P&MLiquorsEric View Post
    I am lucky enough to live in the Ohio valley. About 80% of the days I take some form of allergy medication. Sudafed being the most common.

Many days I can't taste a thing.

Our palates are an evolving and changing animal. Even the most distinguished can be fooled with ease. (See wine experts trying to distinguish whites from reds).

I think this is also why one taste of a bourbon is not enough to cast judgement. Mood, diet, environment and oxidation all play a huge role.
    I try to avoid judgment until I've had at least a half bottle. (That can be quite a session!) Unless, of course, I like it immediately. In that case, my taste is impeccable.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

I like to think I'm right and when I like the whisky I think the distiller got it right.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

IMO, day-to-day variations in our own individual tastes is the largest determiner of our judgement of a whiskey that we are tasting. Outside of an airing off of a pour in a glass, I just don't think much changes in a bottle of bourbon after opening, unless it's at the very last 50-100ml in a bottle that has been open for a very long time. Even then, I don't think it's an absolute. As humans, it is inevitable that we adapt and change. Constantly. Certainly, from day to day. The whiskey... Not so much. I am not a believer in bottle "air time".
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    What I expect happened is the air got to them enough let the whisky breathe and grow. The early century salesmen for Jack Daniels were taught to sell the whisky by giving the merchant samples of the competitor's whiskys first. The sales rep would pour some Jack then set it aside to breathe while he served the customer drinks from the competition. After a half hour of talking and stalling he would hand over the Jack Daniels which had been allowed to mingle with air.
    Probably didn't hurt the salesman's case that the merchant was in a relaxed state by the time he consumed the JD

Guru

A practical touch in the fine art of persuasion.