Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Favorite Single Malt under $70

So what is your favorite Single Malt under $70 (I know prices may vary). Going to go with Talisker 10 nosing out Springbank 10.

Guru

Re: Favorite Single Malt under $70

Frankly, I think it would rather depend on the choices available to me.

Guru

Kind of depends on the style I am seeking on a particular day. It wasn't that long ago when I could depend on getting Caol Ila 12 for under $70 and I think it is a great representative of the Islay style. But it seems to be creeping up to and may soon be over that line.

Much the same for the Glendronach 15 Revival for a Speyside. But it now seems to be drifting over $70 as well.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

$70 is pretty generous. So many choices. I'm not really sure I have a favorite per se - not to sound like an economist but it all depends on what I'm in the mood for. As far as purchasing new bottles it depends mostly on what I don't have already and what is on sale.

Caol Ila 12 is reliably under $65 in my neck of the woods but occasionally pops up on sale for $50 and I really like it, a lot, so I buy multiples when it's on sale. Springbank is normally under $60 but if I see a bottle for $50, I'll snap up a couple. Talisker 10 is super tasty and I occasionally see it for $50, or even $45, so I buy multiples. You get the idea. My tastes vary enough, and luckily my bunker is now just deep and wide enough that I rarely am craving something under $70 that I don't already have at least one bottle of.

Now if I owned nothing and could only buy one bottle of something under $70 – that’s a tougher call. It would be a tie between Laphroaig or Caol Ila with Edradour the backup choice. The tie breaker would be price.

I think this would be much harder if the dollar limit was $35. Obviously blends would be have to be included. Right now it would be either Monkey Shoulder ($35 or less) or Cutty Sark Prohibition. ($30 or less) or Knappogue Castle 12 (regularly $24.99 on sale in NH). With Islay Mist being ($20-25) a very distant 3rd.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by weller_tex View Post
    So what is your favorite Single Malt under $70 (I know prices may vary). Going to go with Talisker 10 nosing out Springbank 10.
    This question depends HIGHLY on location.
    Pricing varies widely not only as a result of local taxes but also certain brands have very wide geographic variation. Here in Ontario EVERYTHING is more expensive than anywhere in the USA but Springbank, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and anything over 18yo are obscene whereas others like Glenfarclas, Auchentoshan, Bowmore 12, Glenfiddich, Glelivet aren't that bad.

So, your $70 threshold can mean different choices depending on location

In my market my best choices under $70 (I like variety):
    Aberlour 12
    Benriach curiositas 10
    Bruichladdich 10
    Glendronach 12
    Highland Park 12
    Laphroaig QC
    Old Pulteney 12

Note that your two choices (tali & Springer 10's) are both above $70 here.
    Last edited by portwood; 08-01-2013 at 08:55.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by portwood View Post
    This question depends HIGHLY on location.
    Pricing varies widely not only as a result of local taxes but also certain brands have very wide geographic variation. Here in Ontario EVERYTHING is more expensive than anywhere in the USA but Springbank, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, and anything over 18yo are obscene whereas others like Glenfarclas, Auchentoshan, Bowmore 12, Glenfiddich, Glelivet aren't that bad.

So, your $70 threshold can mean different choices depending on location
    Could try to identify a "bellwether" bottle or two and figure what the local difference is to determine what $70 equates to in your local area. A

lthough that is hard to do even in a single area! In Atlanta, with the depressing price increases resulting from the whisky boom and the overlords at Diageo, I have seen Caol Ila anywhere from mid $60's to nearly $100 depending on the pricing policies of the store and how recently they have had to restock.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    In Atlanta, with the depressing price increases resulting from the whisky boom and the overlords at Diageo, I have seen Caol Ila anywhere from mid $60's to nearly $100 depending on the pricing policies of the store and how recently they have had to restock.
    If I had to pick one, it would be Caol Ila 12 - love that stuff. But it has been holding steady at $50 here. Hmm, maybe I should bunker a few.. A close second in that under $70 would be The Laddie 10.

If I had to pick a budget bottle, it would be Ardmore Traditional Cask. At $30, a no-brainer.
    <"}}}}}}}><

Rich

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Wall Eye View Post
    If I had to pick one, it would be Caol Ila 12 - love that stuff. But it has been holding steady at $50 here. Hmm, maybe I should bunker a few.. A close second in that under $70 would be The Laddie 10.
    Don't know why it is so variable in price and more expensive here. K&L still has it for $50 but doesn't have much in stock. Would surprise me if it didn't go up with the next shipment they get. The internet sources I generally have available to me show TPS is nearly $70 and relatively low stock while both Astor and DUNY are out of stock.

So stocking up at $50 seems prudent if it is a favorite!

Virtuoso

I can usually find Lagavulin 16 for less than $70, it would be hard to not go with that if pressed for a single answer.

Virtuoso

Benromach 10 yr is a nice one for about $50. Nicely sherried with a touch of peat - and that round, fruity Speyside character. I think this one will be one to watch as it ages.
    Mark