Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

I know ETL has been BOTM before, but it's been a few years. Besides, I thought it would be kind of a nice way for us to honor and remember Elmer T.

My thoughts.... I really like ETL. One darn good bourbon if you ask me. I taste a few different things when I have a pour of ETL. The last bottle I had, had the usual sweet, nutty caramel flavor, but there was also a very slight hint of cocoa way back in the background. There was also a touch of spice, a la brown sugar/cinnamon.

At the start, the nutty, caramel sweetness is well apparent and inviting. The mid palate starts a gentle warming, and is also where the cocoa flavor became apparent to me. The finish is a continuance of the mid-palate warming, and also where the spice, brown sugar/cinnamon shows itself. Good from start to finish. Nicely balanced too. Like I said before, one darned good bourbon if you ask me. It probably should be added to the list of good value pours.

So let's here what you all have to say. Cheers to you, and cheers to Elmer T.
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

ETL was my first really drinkable bourbon when I was just getting into bourbon a few years back. No Coke, no piles of ice and the whole time I was shocked and impressed.

Sweet yet balanced taste, no burn and made me want to have another pour.

Hopefully they keep it cranking after his passing.

Disciple

Re: BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Yes, love my ETL neet.

Virtuoso

I didn't try ETL until early this year. I don't look for or prefer bourbons that are "smooth" but the bottles of ETL I've had are probably the smoothest bourbons I've ever tasted. Just a delicious, approachable, friendly whiskey. A bourbon for everyone, but not for the lowest common denominator.

Advanced Taster

I will have to agree. I initially tried this in Louisville at the Silver Dollar Cafe and wasn't really impressed. Recently, I passed through Paducah and sampled a single barrel selection at Roof Bros. Consider me converted! I bought two bottles...along with a whole bunch of other whiskey and beer.

Guru

My favorite current production ryed bourbon. I love it!
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Guru

For me Blantons is more complex and Rock Hill Farms has a bit better flavor but Elmer T. does right well.

Guru

Those are still on my list to try for sure Squire. The RHF I had was undrinkable (tainted) and I haven't opened my bottle of Blanton's yet.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Disciple

ETL is a bottle that always graces my shelves and have always been a fan,the 15yr SV bottling nothing short if epic and the 90th Birthday Edition was also pretty damn good.May his name live on through the label for a great many years and I would love to see BT release a commemorative bottle in his honor.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Guru

I know this has been asked many times and I have seen several answers, but does anyone know the average age of ETL? I've seen answers from 4-14yrs. No way it's just 4. My guess is that it's similar to BT 8-9yrs.