Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Supposedly bottled when it was "ready" but I think the general consensus was it was around 8 years.

A bottle I always keep on hand that offers a nice balance between price and quality.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Sad to see single barrel expressions without any barrel info on the label ...

Connoisseur

[QUOTE=fishnbowljoe;358881]
    My thoughts.... I really like ETL. One darn good bourbon if you ask me. I taste a few different things when I have a pour of ETL. The last bottle I had, had the usual sweet, nutty caramel flavor, but there was also a very slight hint of cocoa way back in the background. There was also a touch of spice, a la brown sugar/cinnamon.
    Joe is (or was) right about this description for much of the ETL that I've had (several bottles over about three years)..... However, the very last bottle I bought was LOUSY! I always had ETL as one of my few 'go-to' pours for a mid-priced, easy-to-enjoy bourbon; but this last one is so bad I've had it open for about six-months, because I just don't reach for it any more. It's very grassy, and tastes way 'under-aged'. How the folks at BT let this slip through in an ETL bottle and didn't age it longer, or use it in some other brand more in line with this profile, I have no idea; but it's turned me off of ETL for the forseeable future. ... And, that makes me sad.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    My favorite current production ryed bourbon. I love it!
    Close ... ETL is currently #2 behind EC12 for me.
    "They say some of my stars drink whiskey, but I have found that ones who drink milkshakes don't win many ball games."
    -- Casey Stengel

Advanced Taster

One of my favorite value pours. ETL was one of the bourbons that introduced me to this hobby/obsession of drinking and enjoying bourbon. I agree with the many posts that say ETL is easy-drinking and smooth. For me, ETL was definitely a gateway bourbon! It made me realize that I did like bourbon, and nudged me to try different brands, mashbill recipes, styles, etc. If the rumors were true about Elmer actually picking the barrels for the product, I'm would assume that the quality will be a lot different from prior bottlings. Maybe better, maybe worse, but very likely different.

Quote Originally Posted by Richnimrod View Post
    Joe is (or was) right about this description for much of the ETL that I've had (several bottles over about three years)..... However, the very last bottle I bought was LOUSY! I always had ETL as one of my few 'go-to' pours for a mid-priced, easy-to-enjoy bourbon; but this last one is so bad I've had it open for about six-months, because I just don't reach for it any more. It's very grassy, and tastes way 'under-aged'. How the folks at BT let this slip through in an ETL bottle and didn't age it longer, or use it in some other brand more in line with this profile, I have no idea; but it's turned me off of ETL for the forseeable future. ... And, that makes me sad.
    Yes, that is always the danger with single barrel products, which is why whenever I purchase and open a bottle of ETL, and it tastes particularly good, I try to go back to that same store and bunker a few from (hopefully) the same barrel. So far, that's worked out for me.

Guru

I have a bottle of RHF that is disgusting.

You can't let that stop you from trying another bottle though. Especially, if you have had good ones previously.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

I've always wanted to try this but never have. I never see it in any of the stores around where I live...Is it not available in New York state?

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I didn't try ETL until early this year. I don't look for or prefer bourbons that are "smooth" but the bottles of ETL I've had are probably the smoothest bourbons I've ever tasted. Just a delicious, approachable, friendly whiskey. A bourbon for everyone, but not for the lowest common denominator.
    Perfectly stated I can't think of anything to add beyond another bottle which I just purchased.

I would like to ask, what is the relationship of BT to ETL in terms of mashbill, age, warehouse location? What are supposed to be the similarities and differences?

Guru

The mashbill info is in the whiskey tree thread. BT is MB#1 (lower rye) and ETL is MB#2 (higher rye). Not sure about the rest but I've seen the warehouse info in other threads.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I have a bottle of RHF that is disgusting.

You can't let that stop you from trying another bottle though. Especially, if you have had good ones previously.
    Joe, that is what I like about you! A never be defeated attitude! If at first you don't like it, try try again!