Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Disciple

Re: BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

I guess I wonder the future of this brand. Mr. Lee personally selected the bourbon to be bottled. At least, that is what we were led to believe. Thoughts on its future? I suspect that it will stick around.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mbroo5880i View Post
    Joe, that is what I like about you! A never be defeated attitude! If at first you don't like it, try try again!
    Except when it comes to scotch.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Connoisseur

Good call on the botm. When I first tried my first bottle of ETL, I didn't really like it. My first impressions were that there were some flavors but they were faint. No doubt smooth. It wasn't until half way through the bottle that I realized what I was doing wrong...for my palate, I couldn't drink ETL on the same night with other bourbons. It has to either be exclusively ETL or ETL as the first pours. If I had anything else first, I found ETL to end up tasting like "background music." So, when I'm in the mood for ETL, I drink it exclusively that night or have a good pour of it first before moving to something else. When I do that, ETL and all it's flavors and balance comes through beautifully.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    The mashbill info is in the whiskey tree thread. BT is MB#1 (lower rye) and ETL is MB#2 (higher rye). Not sure about the rest but I've seen the warehouse info in other threads.
    Ah the Whiskey tree, still learning my way around. Thanks for that info, makes perfect sense.

Guru

I'm still learning myself. Just trying to help my fellow man.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Connoisseur

Oddly enough, picked up my first bottle just a few weeks before he passed.

I definitely enjoyed the sweet caramel notes mixed with the dry rye spice, coupled with the smooth finish. I'll certainly miss it (not available in my state), but BT is mighty close and $5-$10 cheaper.

I'm surprised to see they're from different mashbills... I would have guessed ETL is the same juice as BT, just more honed-in on the honey barrels... or at least, specific age/barrel locations that match his preferred flavor profile better.

Guru

JP I've come to believe mashbills are not near as important as I once thought. I think the barrel and it's location in the warehouse is a much bigger deal.

Enthusiast

Squire, I agree. Ritt BIB vs OGD BIB does a pretty good job of proving that, IMHO.
    Pete

I hate scotch.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    Oddly enough, picked up my first bottle just a few weeks before he passed.

I definitely enjoyed the sweet caramel notes mixed with the dry rye spice, coupled with the smooth finish. I'll certainly miss it (not available in my state), but BT is mighty close and $5-$10 cheaper.

I'm surprised to see they're from different mashbills... I would have guessed ETL is the same juice as BT, just more honed-in on the honey barrels... or at least, specific age/barrel locations that match his preferred flavor profile better.
    Thats was why I was asking about the recipes in both as I too was surpised they were different mashbills. I would have bet that ETL were honey barrels of otherwise BT. I taste a strong family resemblance in the currently open BT and ETL bottels in my cabinet, enjoying both very much but they are more similar than different to my palate.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    JP I've come to believe mashbills are not near as important as I once thought. I think the barrel and it's location in the warehouse is a much bigger deal.
    Good to know I'm not going crazy, at least. Every time I think I have a grasp on this bourbon stuff, I find out I'm not so smart.