Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Enthusiast

Re: BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    I expect the brand to thrive but please let's not talk about special bottling as those words and increased price usually make it into the same paragraph.
    Now we're starting to be as superstitious as baseball players!

It's bad enough we're talking about ETL here. If there was a bourbon I really don't want the whole world to wise up to and cause the price to jack up, it's this one...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    Now we're starting to be as superstitious as baseball players!

It's bad enough we're talking about ETL here. If there was a bourbon I really don't want the whole world to wise up to and cause the price to jack up, it's this one...
    Amen to that. When I told some friends at work about picking a barrel of ETL and they asked "What's that?", I immediately deflected. "Oh, it's generally overpriced swill; in fact, we're picking a barrel because they're looking to dump some of it. Bad stuff - I'd steer clear".
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Amen to that. When I told some friends at work about picking a barrel of ETL and they asked "What's that?", I immediately deflected. "Oh, it's generally overpriced swill; in fact, we're picking a barrel because they're looking to dump some of it. Bad stuff - I'd steer clear".
    I got to thinking just a minute ago about... "Maybe I need to buy a case..." And then again we were just talking about a commemorative bottling...

Maybe it'd just be better to see if we can get a group together and get ourselves a barrel... I know I would be in for a case worth. Sadly, I have no connections with BT. This could be the "SB Tribute to Elmer" barrel...

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dmarkle View Post
    I got to thinking just a minute ago about... "Maybe I need to buy a case..." And then again we were just talking about a commemorative bottling...

Maybe it'd just be better to see if we can get a group together and get ourselves a barrel... I know I would be in for a case worth. Sadly, I have no connections with BT. This could be the "SB Tribute to Elmer" barrel...
    There is a thread to get that discussion going, although logistics is a huge pain in the butt (not to mention getting folks to commit to X bottles). Ours was picked in late April, and I'm looking forward to tasting it shortly
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

My first BOTM as a SB member. I actually had a bottle stashed away already and cracked the seal last night. First impressions were a very smooth and very tasty bourbon, slightly sweeter than i normally like, but in a good way. Had to resist a second pour since it was late on a work night. I look forward to my next glass and doing a tasting review (usually wait til about mid-bottle to start writing notes down).
    Last edited by DrBob; 08-13-2013 at 07:49.

Enthusiast

I drink ETL from time to time, but it's not something I reach for that often. I find it to be just so damn smooth and mellow that I usually find myself wishing it was higher proof when I drink it. I wish I had some of the ETL BUB to compare!

Apprentice

A friend of mine who I hadn't seen came to my house yesterday, saw my collection, and said, "Whats a good whiskey for me to try?" This was the one I picked. We sipped and I also poured him a glass of Makers 46 so he could see which he thought was "better". $20 more the 46 lost out, as I expected, to the ETL, which he LOVED. Truly tasty stuff.

Taster

As a newcomer to the bourbon world, I had my first sips of ETL last night. I must say, it's a wonderful whiskey. Incredibly well rounded on both the nose and palate. Caramel, vanilla, charred oak, dusty rye spice, a bit of toffee, with a comfortable full mouth feel and a long, rye spice finish. What got me was how incredibly nuanced it was. Perhaps this is just my inexperience talking, but for many bourbons there are certain scents and flavors that jump out immediately. Not so with ETL; everything seemed perfectly balanced. This is an incredibly easy drinking bourbon but one that you can also sit with and contemplate on. I'm looking forward to seeing how this opens up over the coming weeks and perhaps grabbing another bottle to compare.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    There is a thread to get that discussion going, although logistics is a huge pain in the butt (not to mention getting folks to commit to X bottles). Ours was picked in late April, and I'm looking forward to tasting it shortly
    Somehow I missed this thread. Can you redirect those of us interested? I'm still kicking myself for passing on the ETL15 that was offerred a few years back.
    Bourbon is sunshine held together by water....

Advanced Taster

A little late to the thread this month. Been on vacation. Fishing was good. So I picked up my first ETL single barrel last night. Smooth, actually too smooth. That's not necessarily a bad thing: sometimes I like it smooth and sometimes I like it rough--but all times I like it to be interesting. Just not much happening here in ETL for me--pleasant enough, and no off tastes, but nothing exciting. Maybe the notes were too subtle for me yesterday, and I'll surely give it a chance to air a bit and grow on me. The ball & chain liked it, though, and she mostly makes faces when tasting my rare stuff; so ETL may well be an excellent introductory pour for the bourbon novice.