Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: BOTM 8/13: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel

I'm with squire on this one. The Rock Hill Farms definately edges it out in flavor, but the ETL has the edge in price.

Enthusiast

Love ETL. An absolute staple as long as it shall be produced and I shall drink bourbon. I have three iterations of it right now--15 year SV bottling (amazing, and only 1/2 bottle left), regular ETL Barrel Select (delicious), and regular ETL (unopened right now). I need to compare the stock ETL to the special store bottling I have, as the store bottling is delicious and I'll stock up if it is significantly better than the stock. Great bourbon period, and a great value.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I know this has been asked many times and I have seen several answers, but does anyone know the average age of ETL? I've seen answers from 4-14yrs. No way it's just 4. My guess is that it's similar to BT 8-9yrs.
    FWIW, recent custom bottlings have been from 9 yo barrels.
    John B

"Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons… that is all there is to distinguish us from other animals."

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by jburlowski View Post
    FWIW, recent custom bottlings have been from 9 yo barrels.
    Yep - when we did our private barrel selection, the 9 barrels we had to pick from were all 9 yrs and a few days, and the BT rep said 9 yrs is when they are pulling for ETL (although that may differ based on seasons, etc).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

An average of 9 years is what Mr. Elmer said in an interview some years ago but he stressed warehouse position and maturity were the primary concerns and the age just sort of worked out that way.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    An average of 9 years is what Mr. Elmer said in an interview some years ago but he stressed warehouse position and maturity were the primary concerns and the age just sort of worked out that way.
    Makes sense - the nine we tasted were all from the same rick (so some variation based on whether they were closer to the wall or not). With a single barrel, they've got to get as close as they can to that taste profile, so if its ready in 8.5 or 10, that's when it gets pulled.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Enthusiast

ETL is one of my all-time favorite bourbons. It is just so easily drinkable yet packed with flavor. I love the citrus fruitiness, baking spice and toffee backbone it has. I can see why Elmer (supposedly) drank a tall glass of this stuff a day.

Guru

Does anyone know when they started using the current squat bottle for ETL? I know that they stopped using the wax seal on the current bottle at the end of 2005 from posts on this site, but I can't find any other info.

Edit: found the answer here - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...ll=1#post47659

They switched to the current bottle shape in 1999 (and dropped the proof to 90) and stopped using the wax seal at the end of 2005.
    Last edited by smknjoe; 08-08-2013 at 18:17. Reason: Found the Answer
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Enthusiast

Great BOTM selection. ETL is definitely one of the favorites. Surprised not to see people talk about cherries in the flavor profile...

I too wonder what will happen to the brand now that Elmer has passed. A special bottling would be a nice way to honor him. Personally, I prefer ETL over Blanton's. Less wood in the flavor profile and a whole lot less expensive...

Guru

I expect the brand to thrive but please let's not talk about special bottling as those words and increased price usually make it into the same paragraph.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.