Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2013: Talisker

That is correct MtnDew. I believe 2011 is when Diageo lowered the proof and started releasing the 25 at "Talisker's traditional strength" of 45.8%. Note that the price was not also lowered.

Luckily, the new 27 will be at natural cask strength, though it will set you back 475.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 10-19-2013 at 12:06.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    That is correct MtnDew. I believe 2011 is when Diageo lowered the proof and started releasing the 25 at "Talisker's traditional strength" of 45.8%. Note that the price was not also lowered.

Luckily, the new 27 will be at natural cask strength, though it will set you back 475.
    Holy monkeys! I don't think even a 27 year old Talisker at cask strength is worth ~$750... I could get a whole lot of tasty bottles for that price. I felt/feel the same way about Macallan 25, just not worth it at all.

Now I really am going to have to nurse my Talisker 25. When it's gone... it's gone.

Connoisseur

If anyone is looking for the 25 year CS, I know of a place where I can get 2 of them after Nov 6 for roughly $220 (tax included). From what I can tell, that's a good price. I can get it and ship it to you. I'll have access to a lot of scotches at good prices at that point as we have a city owned liquor store that runs a sale with 15% off and they already have some of the best prices in town. I can get the TUN 1401 Batch 6 and 9 for about $230 after tax as well. Always happy to help other whiskey lovers.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    If anyone is looking for the 25 year CS, I know of a place where I can get 2 of them after Nov 6 for roughly $220 (tax included). From what I can tell, that's a good price. I can get it and ship it to you. I'll have access to a lot of scotches at good prices at that point as we have a city owned liquor store that runs a sale with 15% off and they already have some of the best prices in town. I can get the TUN 1401 Batch 6 and 9 for about $230 after tax as well. Always happy to help other whiskey lovers.
    Those are pretty solid deals. What year is the T25? On the TUN 1401 stupid me had a chance to get a batch 3 several years ago at duty free...but my wife was with me and she looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested I might buy it.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by md222 View Post
    Those are pretty solid deals. What year is the T25? On the TUN 1401 stupid me had a chance to get a batch 3 several years ago at duty free...but my wife was with me and she looked at me like I was crazy when I suggested I might buy it.
    They were 2004 and they all got snapped up when I made that offer. Someone was nice enough to send me a sample and it was pretty fantastic. I'd recommend it for sure if you can find it.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    They were 2004 and they all got snapped up when I made that offer. Someone was nice enough to send me a sample and it was pretty fantastic. I'd recommend it for sure if you can find it.
    I don't doubt it. One heck of a deal and nice of you to offer them up.

Enthusiast

The 2004 Tali 25 is really a fantastic pour, especially considering that it was below $200 at some stores. We'll probably never see a good 25yr OB CS at that price again.
    Justin

I had a taste of the Talisker Distillers Edition (finished in an Amoroso Sherry Cask) at a scotch tasting on the weekend. The lovely fruit flavours from the Sherry nicely complement the earthy peat and pepper of the Talisker spirit.