Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru
    @WhiskyRI

It's cool having SBrs to pool resources, share drams and conversation with! LostBottle supplied the 18 and as you say, the flavors really do keep coming in waves.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Guru

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2013: Talisker

Looks like fun! Need to add a Talisker 175th Anniversary and perhaps a couple of Distiller Editions to the tasting for some variety! Interesting that they put the 25yo in darker glass.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Did a vertical tonight @ LB's place of 10, 18, 25yr drams:

The 18 was my favorite tonight but the 10 held its own. The 25 was good too but as it's freshly popped, it probably has a little time to go open up (wish it was bottled cask strength).
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    Looks like fun! Need to add a Talisker 175th Anniversary and perhaps a couple of Distiller Editions to the tasting for some variety! Interesting that they put the 25yo in darker glass.
    I have a 57degN in the bunker somewhere but didn't feel like spring cleaning my storage area to excavate it out ;-)

LB said the same exact thing about the 25yr bottle.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2013: Talisker

So what's the deal with the 175th Ann? Looks like it was released in '05. I happened to run into one on the shelf the other day at a store with high prices. They had it for somewhere in the $115-$130 range (I think). Any notes on it?
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    So what's the deal with the 175th Ann? Looks like it was released in '05. I happened to run into one on the shelf the other day at a store with high prices. They had it for somewhere in the $115-$130 range (I think). Any notes on it?
    I am not great with notes but I find it a bit sweeter and a little more "mellow" than the 18yo. Not quite as much smoke or pepper. But somewhere in the back of the palate I pick up what I presume to be some of the older whisky in the blend. Heavy and sophisticated and very well balanced to me.

Somebody put some real thought into the blend of whiskies that were used and it all seems to work. The bottles I found were about $100 and with the 18 at $120+ and heading higher it seems like a nice alternative if you can find it at a decent price.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Guru

If anybody knows much about what the serial numbers on Talisker bottles means I would appreciate some help!

Saw an 18 in the older box with the following numbers in black on the bottle just above the back label:
    L4335CM000

IMG_1192.jpg

A bottle in the newer package had white numbers along the bottle:
    L2299CM000

IMG_1193.jpg

Didn't seem to be any other obvious dating on either bottle. Anybody know how to interpret these numbers? Or if they even mean anything to anyone but Talisker?

Curious to know how much older the older bottle is. I think the packaging update occurred withing the last 2-3 years or so, maybe sooner.

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I am not great with notes but I find it a bit sweeter and a little more "mellow" than the 18yo. Not quite as much smoke or pepper. But somewhere in the back of the palate I pick up what I presume to be some of the older whisky in the blend. Heavy and sophisticated and very well balanced to me.

Somebody put some real thought into the blend of whiskies that were used and it all seems to work. The bottles I found were about $100 and with the 18 at $120+ and heading higher it seems like a nice alternative if you can find it at a decent price.
    Thanks tansta. The pricing I find around here is reversed, so I decided to pick up the 18yo for $100 instead. The 175th sounds like it could be an interesting bottle in the $85 range.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    Thanks tansta. The pricing I find around here is reversed, so I decided to pick up the 18yo for $100 instead. The 175th sounds like it could be an interesting bottle in the $85 range.
    I will have to make a point of looking for Talisker 18 the next time I am in Chicago. Whenever that is!

Virtuoso

I've tasted the 18yo a few times now, and I'm here to report that it's good. It's damn good. Kind of bullet proof in fact. It's a trend in the three OBs I've tasted that the blending is absolutely focused and defined. This is not a stunning whisky, but it is blessed. I'm used to enjoying my whiskies with higher highs than what I've found in the Taliskers, but all three (the 10yo, DE and 18yo) bring their characteristic traits up to a consistent level. I really like that the 18 is less sweet than the 10. The malt is more relaxed, more honied and less cloying, and stands as a better platform for the salty, sea spray smoke.

At $60, the 10 is a bit pricey: seems like more of a $45 bottle to me. $100 for the 18 is a good deal given the high price of the 10, but objectively speaking, I still think it's a little high. The problem with this distillery is that it grows on you, so the more I drink it, the more I am bound to its flavor profile; and it's a flavor profile I'm not going to find anywhere else, so it becomes a very convincing voice in divorcing me from my money.
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Taster

I have a buddy who's more into scotch than bourbon, so I tend to try different ones at his house. I first had Talisker at his house, and it's still one of the few scotches I have at home. I find that I can't get past the smoke in Laphroaig but the balance is perfect for my palate in Talisker. And the fact that I can routinely find it under $50 makes it that much better.
    -Pete