Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2013: Talisker

Late to the party here, but Talisker is one of my favorites. I picked up the 18 and the DE last year before the increase in price on the 18. I may open them this weekend to taste along with the last bit of 10 year I have left.

It is not in the budget right now, but my dream birth-year bottle is this 1981 Sherry Cask Talisker that is supposed to be otherworldly. http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4843.aspx

Here is my new Talisker, I'll post notes soon, it's very good but think it needs a little time and water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    C

"everybody defamates from miles away
    but face to face
    they haven't got a thing to say"

Advanced Taster

I had a neighbor over last night with whom I regularly share a dram with, although he's more of a bourbon guy. He decided he wanted a scotch so I took him down to the hoarding corner and since I was enjoying some Laphroaig Quarter cask gave him a tiny sample - he found it too peaty. I then gave him some Talisker 10 and he said that was perfect. He really liked the saltiness. T10 has really become the reliable go-to gateway dram for Peat. Enough to be interesting but also other notes providing balance. I haven't tasted any of the independent bottlings of Talisker yet - I look forward to @Virus and others' notes.

Connoisseur

Talisker 12 year Distiller's Edition (2000)? Has anyone tried this. It's available locally for $54.99. Should I pull the trigger?
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    Talisker 12 year Distiller's Edition (2000)? Has anyone tried this. It's available locally for $54.99. Should I pull the trigger?
    They're charging twice that here in my state - I have a bottle in the bunker but have cracked it yet... Sorry can't be more help ;-)
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

I've yet to try any Talisker. It's on my to do list. Will I like it if I'm a fan of Ardbeg or Lagavulin?

Virtuoso

Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2013: Talisker

I love the DE, the Amoroso finish expertly compliments the Talisker profile. I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up for $55; it's $75 here.
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Guru

Have liked all the DE's I have tried. Are you talking about the year distilled or bottled? TD-S:5NZ was distilled 2000 and bottled 2011. If it is bottled in 2000 that may well be better.

The DE's are a very nice whiskey that goes for about $68 here. The 10 is $57 so I would be happy to pay that for a DE!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgemu1 View Post
    I've yet to try any Talisker. It's on my to do list. Will I like it if I'm a fan of Ardbeg or Lagavulin?
    To me, it is closer to Lagavulin than Ardbeg, but not really like either one. I think if you like either then you will like it. It is peaty, but more of a smoky, mineral peat than that sweet peat. It also has the spicy quality that to me reminds me of ginger.

Connoisseur

One picture says it all. I like Skye's smokiness as a slightly different alternative to Islay's peat. If you do a side by side tasting, there's a subtle, but definite different.

These are all open on my bar.

"A man can take a little bourbon without getting drunk, but if you hold his mouth open and pour in a quart, he's going to get sick on it."
    LBJ