Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Foreign Whisky of the Month - 08/2013: Talisker

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoys View Post
    One picture says it all. I like Skye's smokiness as a slightly different alternative to Islay's peat. If you do a side by side tasting, there's a subtle, but definite different.

These are all open on my bar.

Please be sure to include your address with my invitation!
    There's no such thing as bad whiskey, there's only over priced whiskey.

Advanced Taster

It may no longer be Foreign Whisky of the Month, but I recently attended the Talisker lunch at WhiskyFest. They had the 10, Storm, 18 and 25. What I found interesting was that though the 18 was so quiet rewarding the thoughtful drinker, the 25 was back to full volume. It was my first time tasting the 25 and I was really surprised. Can't wait to taste it again and spend more time on the 25. If anyone has some spare 25 kicking around, I'll gladly swap a sample of the 18 for just a wee bit of the 25.

Guru

Did you note the ABV on the 25yr?
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    Did you note the ABV on the 25yr?
    I have an open 25 year Talisker from the 2004 bottling, ABV is something like 57% or 59%, I'll have to check when I'm back home. To me this is one of my favorite scotchs and this is coming from someone who is not a huge fan of peat. There is just something awesome that happens to the peated scotchs when they reach this age.

Connoisseur

I also like the older Taliskers.

Last edited by LostBottle; 10-17-2013 at 18:32.

Guru

Liberace ain't got nothing on that box LB! Bet that juice is tasty though...
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

mmmmmmm, 35 year Talisker, I bet that even puts my Talisker 25 to shame. And that box is very nice but, then again, considering the probably price of that bottle, it better come in something nice

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by MtnDew View Post
    mmmmmmm, 35 year Talisker, I bet that even puts my Talisker 25 to shame. And that box is very nice but, then again, considering the probably price of that bottle, it better come in something nice
    I'd word it like this: Considering the price of that box, the juice in the bottle better be something nice

The ABV on the '04 25yo is 57.8%. I have one open as well. Now that I've moved I can open a few more bottles. I have a vertical of the 25yo from '04, the 175th, 18yo and DE ready to go. I'll have to pick up a 10yo to add to it I suppose. It's kind of hard to include the 25yo in the comparisons, though; it really is a different beast at CS. I haven't had any recent 25yo bottlings, but the 25yo I have is much closer to the profile of the 10yo than the DE (of course) or the 18yo. Much less apparent sherry on it than the current 18yo. Getting to know Talisker this way has really opened my eyes to the purposeful art of blending, and it seems to me they were going for something very different with the older 25yo. I'd love to compare to a recent 25yo bottling, but I'm much more partial to the '04 pricing...
    "A man comes from the dust and in the dust he will end-- In the meantime it is good to drink whiskey."
    -->WhiskeyWonka<--

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I'd word it like this: Considering the price of that box, the juice in the bottle better be something nice
    Agreed in regards to price and quality, although they rarely align once you hit a certain price point. That said, Serge seemed to think it was a stunner.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWF View Post
    I'd love to compare to a recent 25yo bottling, but I'm much more partial to the '04 pricing...
    Also agreed, especially considering those were still cask strength and the new variants are not.
    Last edited by LostBottle; 10-18-2013 at 10:13.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by LostBottle View Post
    Agreed in regards to price and quality, although they rarely align once you hit a certain price point. That said, Serge seemed to think it was a stunner.

Also agreed, especially considering those were still cask strength and the new variants are not.
    What, they are no longer cask strength? Thats pretty lame, the 25 year was worth the $180 I paid for it because of the age and strength, there are not all that many bottles like it that carry the distillers label. I'm going to have to keep nursing mine now...