Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
    Taster

Cheers from Minneapolis, MN

My journey into bourbon began only early this year. On a cold January evening, I was destined to experience my 31st birthday pass by with yet another gin and tonic in hand. But upon waking, as a man into his 30's now, I felt something had to change. I did some brief research over the coming days and ventured forth to a nearby liquor store with a short list. I came away with bottles of Woodford Reserve, Bulleit Rye, and Glenmorangie 10 year.

I knew immediately I had stumbled onto something glorious. After thoroughly enjoying that small group, my purchasing spree continued that week with Russel's Reserve, Elijah Craig 12 year, Rittenhouse Rye, and a Macallan 12 year. While I certainly enjoyed the scotch, I appreciated the homegrown nature of American whisky and the sheer value provided by it. Ever since then, I've continued to add bottle after bottle of bourbon and rye, favoring some, disliking others, but always enjoying the journey.

And now a brief question to those familiar with Minneapolis. I've definitely made the rounds of liquor stores around my area, with Surdyk's, Chicago Lake (and it's cousin Liquor Boy for cheap resupplies), South Lyndale Liquors and France 44 being my normal haunts. Are there any other stores with bountiful whisky selections that I've missed out on?

Guru

Re: Cheers from Minneapolis, MN

Hello Nillion, welcome aboard. Feel free to wander around in here, there's lots to discover and then talk about.

Virtuoso

Good Day and welcome from one of the Michigan folk.

Best regards, Tony

Disciple

Welcome to the board. A visit to central KY in the next few months could take your obsession to the next level!

Connoisseur

Welcome to the board. Have FUN! It's what we all do here (well, mostly)... if it ain't fun; you're not doing it right.

Guru

Welcome from Georgia! What are you favoring at the moment? I've also find my "favs" change as I continue on my journey (at one point, Buffalo Trace was one of my favs, and it hasn't gone downhill, but just found my tastes expanding).
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    Welcome from Georgia! What are you favoring at the moment? I've also find my "favs" change as I continue on my journey (at one point, Buffalo Trace was one of my favs, and it hasn't gone downhill, but just found my tastes expanding).
    Right now my top three would have to be Elijah Craig 12 year, Rittenhouse BIB, and Weller 12 year. Bear in mind I've yet to spend over $30 on a bottle. There's so much quality bourbon available for very reasonable sums that I've seen no reason to go to the high end while I'm still gaining my sea legs (or bourbon legs if you will).

And thanks to SB, I have my eyes on OGD BIB and OWA to mix the SB blend, both of which might just be picked up before the weekend is through.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nillion View Post
    Right now my top three would have to be Elijah Craig 12 year, Rittenhouse BIB, and Weller 12 year. Bear in mind I've yet to spend over $30 on a bottle. There's so much quality bourbon available for very reasonable sums that I've seen no reason to go to the high end while I'm still gaining my sea legs (or bourbon legs if you will).

And thanks to SB, I have my eyes on OGD BIB and OWA to mix the SB blend, both of which might just be picked up before the weekend is through.
    Wisdom beyond your years Those three are all great pours. I made the mistake of spending over $50 on several bottles, only to find I didn't get as much enjoyment out of many as I did something half their price.

I highly recommend the SB Blend. And if you're looking to try some other things without breaking the bank - look for the 50 mLs. Things like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Bookers, and Knob Creek can be had for a few dollars - at least to try them. Some of those, that's all I buy of them since I do like them, but not often enough to buy a 750 (and the price for the minis isn't a horrible premium in some cases). As long as you're having fun, you're doing it right
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Welcome aboard form another southern MN'r.

You've certainly hit some nice picks in both bottle selections and store.

Take a trip south and hit up Blue Max if you haven't already. If you've ever out west of the cities, a trip over to Shorewood liquors is not too bad either.

See you around

B
    "Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die."

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I highly recommend the SB Blend. And if you're looking to try some other things without breaking the bank - look for the 50 mLs. Things like Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Bookers, and Knob Creek can be had for a few dollars - at least to try them. Some of those, that's all I buy of them since I do like them, but not often enough to buy a 750 (and the price for the minis isn't a horrible premium in some cases). As long as you're having fun, you're doing it right
    Huh. I've never actually bothered to stop and look at those mini bottles behind the registers. Perhaps it's time to change my ways and pay attention to what's available. I certainly wouldn't mind snagging a Bookers to see if cask strength bourbon tickles my fancy.

Quote Originally Posted by BFerguson View Post
    Take a trip south and hit up Blue Max if you haven't already. If you've ever out west of the cities, a trip over to Shorewood liquors is not too bad either.
    Thanks for the recommendations. I don't venture out further than the inner suburbs very often, but I'll try to keep those in mind if I ever head out that way.