Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Restaurants & Whiskey

Went to Lunch at the Yard House in Boston MA, before the Red Sox yesterday. They hace 200 beers on tap. The they had Four Roses small batch, and High West Double Rye on the menu.
    The problem they have no idea how to serve it. I ordered Four Roses neat. It came out in a martini glass, and had obviously been shaken with ice, and strained. Small set back. I had to order a glass with ice and a shot. And only one shot at a time, but I made it work. I was happy to find it. I know there are all kinds of bars with huge selections, but it's nice to find some good whiskey in an unexpected place the food was good too.
    Anyone else find some some unexpected whiskey in restaurant?

Ted
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Disciple

Restaurants & Whiskey

But how did you resist all those beers!?
    Jim

Advanced Taster

Re: Restaurants & Whiskey

If you are still in Boston - make sure to check out Eastern Standard. My big problems with restaurants is that they have beer and wine lists but too often look at you blankly if you ask for a whisky list. I was at one nice restaurant/bar recently and they told me they had over 30 whiskies - that made me happy. I then asked for a list and the response was just ask for you want. Needless to say they didn't have any of my first 5 choices so I stopped playing 20 questions and ordered a Manhattan. Why would a bar carry a significant number of whiskies and yet provide no way for you know what they are (it was too dark to see what was behind the bar).

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    But how did you resist all those beers!?
    Not totally resisted I had of few tastes of the IPA sampler
    In Society that Outlaws Adventure the Only Adventure is to Outlaw that Society

Guru

In Atlanta there are some restaurant bars with great selections, although they know what their stuff is worth. I was at the Hotel Intercontinental for a tasting event, and got there early to avoid traffic. One of their bars (aptly named "The Bourbon Bar") had an amazing selection (some GTS, THH, WP 10 & 11 yr, etc), although it was all priced like you might expect. I hear there is a great place in Buckhead with some choice FR private selections . . . but the name escapes me . . .
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by darylld911 View Post
    I hear there is a great place in Buckhead with some choice FR private selections . . . but the name escapes me . . .
    Bones. You're thinking of Bones.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by r60slash5 View Post
    Went to Lunch at the Yard House in Boston MA, before the Red Sox yesterday. They hace 200 beers on tap. The they had Four Roses small batch, and High West Double Rye on the menu.
    The problem they have no idea how to serve it. I ordered Four Roses neat. It came out in a martini glass, and had obviously been shaken with ice, and strained. Small set back. I had to order a glass with ice and a shot. And only one shot at a time, but I made it work. I was happy to find it. I know there are all kinds of bars with huge selections, but it's nice to find some good whiskey in an unexpected place the food was good too.
    Anyone else find some some unexpected whiskey in restaurant?

Ted
    Haha! Thats got to be the worst effort at serving a whiskey ive heard of yet, I would not hesitate to send it back, but then again in Oz i would be paying over $10 for a pour.
    Not a whiskey but on a recent work trip i stumbled into a bistro in small bush town a few hours drive out of melbourne, behind the back bar on a very dusty and hard to reach shelf i found an early 80's unopened bottled of martell medallion cognac, had a couple of very cheap pours and managed to walk out with the rest of the bottle well below RRP!

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    Bones. You're thinking of Bones.
    Are they Goat friendly, there...?
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Disciple

If I'm in a new place, I always give specific instructions. I check out the glassware and Bourbon, then order. Since most selections of both glassware and Bourbon suck, I usually say something like, "I'd like the MM neat, in a white wine glass, with a glass of water-no ice." (Not to drift, but the reason I use a wine glass is because I feel that I can't smell anything in a rocks glass with it's straight sides."

Leave nothing to chance.

Also, since they're not used to pouring Bourbon in a wine glass, I often end up with a double pour, while only being charged for a single.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyRI View Post
    I then asked for a list and the response was just ask for (what) you want..
    I HATE THAT!!!

I always get that response, or "Well, what are you lookin' for?". I want to grab the bartender by the collar and say "No, shithead... I want to know what you HAVE, so I can make a SELECTION!" (followed by several curse-words).

Restaurants need to take the 30 mins and $10 to print out their whiskey lists.... with prices, so we don't need to ask. It's really annoying when they don't.