Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Virtuoso

Post-Prohibition NYC Whiskey Window Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, Stitzel made rye, Wellers Malt Rye, Hollis Pure Rye, also rye recipe Bourbons, corn whisky, blended whisky as well as Weller Dry Gin, Peach, Apple and Grape Brandy under their own labels. Weller also made contract whisky and a number of private label brands.

A lot of these labels are beautifully reproduced in Sally Van Winkle Campbell's book, "Always Fine Bourbon", which is a history of her Grandfather, Pappy Van Winkle and the story of Old Fitzgerald.
    Pretty cool. But who is pappy van winkle? Never heard of him. Is this something I should look out for?
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Guru

Re: Post-Prohibition NYC Whiskey Window Shopping

You would be better off making the acquaintance of Old Grand Dad who is after all the head of the Bourbon family.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    We could have been them...

Gary
    We are them and they are us... sharing the common human experience. Fascinating photos to be sure - I find myself staring at them and imagining myself in that world also.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by ChainWhip View Post
    I find myself staring at them and imagining myself in that world also.
    Me, too. The clarity makes it seem as if it was taken yesterday. Now if I only had a time travelling Delorian...
    Justin

Guru

Those are some deep thoughts fellas, believe I'll pour some Barton and ponder a bit.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Those are some deep thoughts fellas, believe I'll pour some Barton and ponder a bit.
    For whatever reason, I read that in my head w/ Al Franken's voice.... *shudder* =]b

I think I'll join you w/ a pour of Barton as well.

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Let's ponder at the bar of circa-1900.

"Why, I think I fancy some of that absinthe in the triangle bottle, with a skosh of sugar and cold water from the marble tower please. Or mebbe some of that fawncy French brandee. Too rich for my blood? Well the Old Crow won't be no different. Gimme some straight rye fella and make it snappy. Steam beer on the side or whatever you Louisiana loafers like.

Why is the bar strangely empty? Call them SB boys over!".

http://www.shorpy.com/node/10027?size=_original#caption

Gary

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Further on the night of August 6, 1903, at an old absinthe bar in New Orleans:

"Good evening bartender, can a man get a drink in these parts pronto?".

"Sure son, especially as it's mighty quiet here tonight. Are you from this state?".

"Nope, I'm from far away, very far … but someone told me your bar is worth a visit".

"And sure 'nuff it is son, we got every liquor you ever heard tell of and many's you never dreamed of neither".

"Is that a fact?".

"Sure is. That's an odd suit you're wearing son, above the belt it looks like thin underwear with short sleeves. Is that what they wear in your parts? What's that lettering in the center? 'SB'? What's that mean?".

"Ah, it's a long story, one I can tell after a stiff one pops. [Gestures toward the back bar]. Is that any good here, that Old Crow? Where I come from it ain't as good as it used to be".

"It ain't? Well it can't be no gen-u-ine Old Crow I tell ya! It's the best we have!".

"Well gimme some then".

[Barkeep reaches for the bottle and pours a large shot. Stranger lays a dollar on the bartop].

"That greenback is plenty son, they must be printing new money in Washington these days, never seen these bills." [Turns and marvels at the currency].

"Yes, it's real Uncle Sam though, don't fret on it".

"Where'd you say you're from"?

"I didn't say… but what else you got to drink here?".

"Well, our Kirk Pure Rye has no equal in these U-nited States".

"Well gimme some of that pops, I could drink that Crow 24/7, but I want to try a different whiskey".

"'pon my word, can't go wrong sonny. What does '24/7' mean, you talk funny sometimes. What kind of weird white shoes you wearin', what's 'Nike' mean anyway?".

"Pops, you got a great place here, but it's time to go, I have to tell some friends about it, friends from far away … very far… but it's been great talking to you, New Orleans was a great town, still is".

"Son, wait a minute don't go, we got to talk more!".

"Bye old man, see you another time I hope, not sure when, it's been real tough to get this far, but 'SB' that you asked about helped me, can't thank them enough".

"Wait, don't go just yet!".

[Customer departs padding softly on his white rubber shoes. Saloon-keeper stares at him with mouth open].

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-06-2013 at 19:12.

Guru
    Gary I think you might be an honorary Timelord in disguise ;-)

Guru
    Is that sawdust on the floor in the Absinthe bar? Hah... Missing my hometown tonight.