Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Monkey Shoulder..nice bang for your buck

I picked up a bottle of Monkey Shoulder for $29.99 at Spec's a while back and started drinking it this week. 43% ABV, a nice blended malt (no grain whisky). It is supposedly a blend of Kininvie, Balvenie, and Glenfiddich. If so I like it a lot better than entry level Glenfiddich.

Guru
    I've got one in the bunker as well. It does look a little orange in the bottle but a solid reasonably priced blend.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Virtuoso

Re: Monkey Shoulder..nice bang for your buck

I agree with you both - this is a solid SM blend and a good one for those who aren't a fan of Scotch to try. For the price, you aren't out much more than a bourbon that didn't catch your fancy.
    Mark

Mr. Anal Retentive Bourbon Drinker

William Grant targets this product to bartenders to use in making cocktails. It's only the young side, no age statement but I'm guessing probably 6-8 years. I think it's very solid pour for the price.

Moderator and Bourbonian Of The Year 2014

It sits at the $35-$40 price range here, and has proved a hit with several scotch drinkers I know regardless of how they enjoy their pour.

Advanced Taster

Everyone I've served it to has really enjoyed it. I think it is one of the better value drams under $40. Good mouthfeel and a richness that is a bit unexpected given it's price. Typically $30-$32 is what I've seen here I the Northeast. The marketing focus behind it is very interesting. Grant is trying to skip a generation and go for the youth market who don't give whisky a second glance. They've had a fair bit of success doing so. We'll how long it lasts.

Guru

A new whisky for a new generation and I think they've hit their mark, good value here.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by camduncan View Post
    It sits at the $35-$40 price range here, and has proved a hit with several scotch drinkers I know regardless of how they enjoy their pour.
    I can see that. I bought a bottle when I saw it at $24. It's very solid and has that nice combo of Balvenie and Glenfiddich that you would want. Definitely recommended for those who want a tasty value pour.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

Enthusiast

Monkey Shoulder is delicious whisky. I'm no Scotch expert, so my opinion is not from on high. Sweet, malty, nice pot still character. I love vatting Scotch in my glass. Today, I poured some Monkey Shoulder and threw in some 90s era Sheep Dip. Beautiful, malty, slightly peaty whisky. These malt blends blend together beautifully.

Disciple

Really MS is a fairly enjoyable pour overall,good enough to drink neat and cheap enough not to feel guilty using it in a cocktail for the $26 it commands around here.It is not something I find myself reaching for continually but it's definitely good enough to serve when company is over and it won't raise any leering glances.
    Last edited by WAINWRIGHT; 08-13-2013 at 18:00.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski