Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Town Branch wins SIP awards

That's the sort of urban renewal I fully support.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Y'all keep buying and drinking any of that young 80 proof stuff. I appreciate it.
    OK .. and, thanks I guess. (Not sure why you appreciate it.)

Admittingly the 80 proof is the lowest proof of my open bottles (abut 15) .. and .. it's not the best.

As with most bourbons .. time will tell. From what I'm tasting .. I'm willing to wait a bit longer before trashing it verbally. The bottle will be trashed shortly! Cheers!
    Jon

The Voshole

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    From the Associated Press
    August 15, 2013

---"GBS barrel selections score unprecedented sweep of top place Gold Medals in all categories at the coveted 2013 GBS Awards for 2nd consecutive year."

---"We at GBS are truly honored and humbled to sweep Gold in all categories again. We would like to thank the Committee, voters, and entire GBS organization for their support, and we look forward to competing again in 2014!"---Jimmy Cofer - President, GBS
    Congratulations to the GBS for sweeping their own awards!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one who knew you guys had it in ya to do so. Can't wait to see Jimmy wearing all those gold medals to various KBF events next month, looking like Michael Phelps (or maybe for guys our age, Mark Spitz is more appropriate?)
    "Bottom line: sometimes things work out this way in life. It doesn't matter how well you've planned; you're just f**ked, and that's that" - The Boss

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    Congratulations to the GBS for sweeping their own awards!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one who knew you guys had it in ya to do so. Can't wait to see Jimmy wearing all those gold medals to various KBF events next month, looking like Michael Phelps (or maybe for guys our age, Mark Spitz is more appropriate?)

The competition was daunting, but you can't beat the discounted entry fee! We feel pretty good about our chances in 2014, as well...
    And, Jimmy has already started his Spitz 'stache for the occasion...But, I am desperately trying to talk him out of donning the Stars n Stripes Speedo at the GN pool...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post

The competition was daunting, but you can't beat the discounted entry fee! We feel pretty good about our chances in 2014, as well...
    And, Jimmy has already started his Spitz 'stache for the occasion...But, I am desperately trying to talk him out of donning the Stars n Stripes Speedo at the GN pool...
    Jimmy who? Oh, Jimyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
    " I never met a Weller I didn't like"

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    One review I recall from Jason Pyle (a fellow SBer?) from early last year suggested it was a unique mashbill of "51% corn (right at the legal limit for bourbon) and 49% malted barley". This kind of fits with the owners background from Scotland and that they also make a malted whiskey as well. But it would likely result in an usual flavor for bourbon (I have never had it).
    The sample I had displayed a distinctly grainy flavor that I would attribute to a high barley mashbill. I likened it to a multigrain bread. It wasn't bad but not something I would buy.
    -Brian-

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."
    -Agent Kay

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're a shoo in for a three peat for 2014
    "Abstainer: A weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure."
    Ambrose Bierce

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    What is a Tatoosh?

tatoo.gif

Sorry, could not resist... I have not thought about Fantasy Island until I sa your question. For some reson the memories came rushing back!

Disciple

Apologies if I've offended. Forty yrs of drinking 8o proofs on the dark side and my affinity for heavy spiced Chinese,Mexican & Cajun foods has soo dulled my taste buds that I need a min of 90 proof to enjoy anything.

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Apologies if I've offended. Forty yrs of drinking 8o proofs on the dark side and my affinity for heavy spiced Chinese,Mexican & Cajun foods has soo dulled my taste buds that I need a min of 90 proof to enjoy anything.
    Did you know it's the exact same nerves in your mouth that make you like spicy foods that make you like high proof alcohol?
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider, is chaos for the fly.