Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Guru

Ice . . . is nice

Part of the fascination of our common subject is the history involved. From my own experience (my parent's post WW11 cocktail generation) and a review of print advertizing of the 40's, 50's and 60's Bourbon in a social setting is invariably shown served over ice, usually with a mixer.

Well before the internet I recall a print interview with a Master Distiller who commented the flavor profile of Bourbons (Grand Dad, Charter, Turkey, etc.) were blended specifically with the thought they would be served over ice or in chilled cocktails. With the changes in production techniques over the last 20 - 30 years (details of which Bourbon Geeks delight in discussing) flavor profiles have shifted somewhat but I think the premise of how they will be served remains constant because that''s still how they will be used by the majority of consumers.

So does ice enhance or reduce your enjoyment in this pursuit of sensory delight?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Re: Ice . . . is nice

For me, it just depends on the mood I'm in and the whiskey I'm drinking. Barrel proofer, I'll add ice or water half the time or so. Hot summer day? Whiskey on ice or whiskey and soda. Cold winter night? Stagg neat in a glencairn. The lovely thing about our beverage of choice is that it can be had in so many different ways!

Guru

Yes, that's true, a man can have many loves.

Connoisseur

I prefer ice. When it's hot, muggy, and you're ready to cool down for the day in the A/C, nothing beats a bourbon on the rock. Except possibly a rye and ginger with bitters on many rocks.

I don't use the giant balls, just your normal cube. One if I want to sip it for a while, a piece if I want to have less water but still cool it down.

I do drink whiskey neat on occasions, especially tastings or events or when I want to do some sort of review or personal tasting. But probably 80% of the time I want a cool drink.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us were in the 80% range.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Yes, that's true, a man can have many loves.
    I typically start my bourbon out neat in a Glencairn, then add just a drop of water to compare how it opens up, and then go to a rocks glass (no ice in the Glencairns). For those who fear that ice waters down your drink, try putting the glass itself or the bourbon in the freezer. A frozen glass will form just enough condensate to contribute a small, non-diluting amount of water and cools the drink only moderately. OGD straight from the freezer makes a great warm weather equivalent of a bourbon slushy.
    If God made anything better than bourbon he must have kept it for Hisself.

Guru

Yes, Old Grand Dad is remarkably versatile.

I like to stir a little ice into the bourbon to cool it down, and then *remove* the ice to prevent further dilution. I think this gives the best of both approaches. And I'll start with a chilled glass to improve the result.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyLikesRye View Post
    I like to stir a little ice into the bourbon to cool it down, and then *remove* the ice to prevent further dilution. I think this gives the best of both approaches. And I'll start with a chilled glass to improve the result.
    I like the way you think, JimmyLikesRye.

Enthusiast

I seem to prefer my bourbon diluted to about 33-36% ABV and use ice to dilute. I use a dilution calculator and Ice cubes with known volumes to get into that range.

For example ECBP @67% makes my pour 1oz with a 1 oz cube (34% ABV)
    WTRB @54% makes my pour 2 oz with a 1 oz cube (36% ABV)
    EWSB @43% makes my pour 2 oz with a 0.5 oz cube (34% ABV)

Granted I am drinking it while the ice melts, so I start out near full proof and end up more watered than ~35% but its what I like