Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Guru

Ice . . . is nice

Part of the fascination of our common subject is the history involved. From my own experience (my parent's post WW11 cocktail generation) and a review of print advertizing of the 40's, 50's and 60's Bourbon in a social setting is invariably shown served over ice, usually with a mixer.

Well before the internet I recall a print interview with a Master Distiller who commented the flavor profile of Bourbons (Grand Dad, Charter, Turkey, etc.) were blended specifically with the thought they would be served over ice or in chilled cocktails. With the changes in production techniques over the last 20 - 30 years (details of which Bourbon Geeks delight in discussing) flavor profiles have shifted somewhat but I think the premise of how they will be served remains constant because that''s still how they will be used by the majority of consumers.

So does ice enhance or reduce your enjoyment in this pursuit of sensory delight?
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Re: Ice . . . is nice

For me, it just depends on the mood I'm in and the whiskey I'm drinking. Barrel proofer, I'll add ice or water half the time or so. Hot summer day? Whiskey on ice or whiskey and soda. Cold winter night? Stagg neat in a glencairn. The lovely thing about our beverage of choice is that it can be had in so many different ways!

Guru

Yes, that's true, a man can have many loves.

Connoisseur

I prefer ice. When it's hot, muggy, and you're ready to cool down for the day in the A/C, nothing beats a bourbon on the rock. Except possibly a rye and ginger with bitters on many rocks.

I don't use the giant balls, just your normal cube. One if I want to sip it for a while, a piece if I want to have less water but still cool it down.

I do drink whiskey neat on occasions, especially tastings or events or when I want to do some sort of review or personal tasting. But probably 80% of the time I want a cool drink.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of us were in the 80% range.

Connoisseur

Ice . . . is nice

I have really gone back and forth with this because I feel that there is a negative stigma attached to drinking bourbon any way other than neat. However, I find that I like virtually all my bourbon with a single ice-cube tray sized ice cube, sometimes more. It may be that I don't really dig many pours under 90 proof.

My exception is ND juice, which is already soft and butterscotchy and loses that in ice, IMHO.

Guru

I rarely drink my bourbon any other way than neat or with water. Not because that's the way to drink it, but because I started out preferring it neat rather than mixed with Coke (which was how most of my friends would drink it.) The last time I tried ice was in some ORVW 10/107. The ice melted quickly and it ruined the drink for me.

The average drinker usually thinks that it's very odd I don't mix it with something or put it over ice.
    I've never tried GTS with any sort of soda. Maybe I'm missing out; but I'm OK with that.

Virtuoso

Depends on the bourbon, some show themselves better with ice, some with water, and some neat, but most of the time it depends on my mood. I'd guess about 2/3rds of mine is consumed with a cube or two.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bingstein View Post
    I have really gone back and forth with this because I feel that there is a negative stigma attached to drinking bourbon any way other than neat.
    I wouldn't put it quite that strongly but yes, I think on a whisky board there is an emphasis on taking whisky neat. Just like there are folks on the cooking boards who insist all meat be cooked rare.

Yet at least 90% of the people I've met over a fairly long life believe anyone who drinks liquor straight is a drunk.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by smknjoe View Post
    I rarely drink my bourbon any other way than neat or with water. Not because that's the way to drink it, but because I started out preferring it neat rather than mixed...
    Same here.

The last time I tried ice ... The ice melted quickly and it ruined the drink for me.
    Same here.

The average drinker usually thinks that it's very odd I don't mix it with something or put it over ice.
    They assume I'm a big drinker because 1) I drink "hard liquor", and 2) I don't mix it. In fact, the same people that think I'm (borderline) alcoholic probably drink more alcohol than I do. When pushed they will admit to drinking "a couple of beers" and/or 1/2 bottle of wine daily but because they don't realize that one beer or one glass of wine is equal to my 25ml of whisky I'm an alcoholic and they're not.