Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: Ice . . . is nice

im not an ice person generally, just due to the basic idea of it watering things down.

Things that i do like to drink cool, i keep them in the fridge......soda, juice, tea....no ice, just refrigerated. that way i enjoy the good taste of the beverage without feeling like i have to drink it before the ice melts and dilutes it. the only thing I put ice into is water, and only in the summer.

whiskey/bourbon i only drink neat. thats how i started out, and that just stuck. ive tried it with ice and it was the same basic idea, it melts and reduces the taste i was enjoying in the first place. I dont even want bourbon to be cool or cold. room temp is best to me. I keep my bottles in my desk, as thats where i usually will have a drink or two while winding down before bed.

Virtuoso

Just so damn hot here in the summer, has to be ice. The amount depends on the mood and the proof. Winter (or when in the cool cool basement) i'm more inclined to go neat.

Guru

hot? i thought louisville's been pretty darn nice lately. especially by Louisville summer standards!

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    hot? i thought louisville's been pretty darn nice lately. especially by Louisville summer standards!
    Let me re-phrase. Incredible summer this year, but in general....far too hot around here for neat. I've come to appreciate it with ice.

I moved here from the Far North after all.

Disciple

Normally, a cube or two to cool it a little (temperature) and release some of the flavors. Maybe 10% of the time neat. Always neat the first time that I try something. Rarely in a cocktail, unless it is the only way that I can drink a particular brand. However, if I don't like it, I can usually find someone who does so I just give it to someone who would like to try it.

I may add a little more ice (like the distilled bagged type) to higher proof bourbons (e.g., OGD 114 or a BP). Not that I don't enjoy neat but I prefer to bring the proof down a little while not diluting the flavor too much. I enjoy the flavor and would prefer a little lower proof (90 to 100) if I can enjoy a little larger pour without skunking myself.

Connoisseur

Short answer:
    I like it either way; depending upon what I'm pouring, and my mood. Some pours seem to benefit (at least occasionally) from a cube. Some never do. I would say I drink my Bourbon neat about 60-70% of the time, once in a while with a little water, and about 20% of the time over a cube. Only very rarely do I use more than a single cube; and then it's only when I'm doing a 'jumbo' pour.

Connoisseur

I've tried many bourbons with ice, including fairly high proofers like OGD 114 and KC120, but I just can't get into it. All I ever taste is a watered down variation of what I poured, and usually an enhanced ethanol flavor.

I wish I did like it over ice... the movies, print ads, and slick commercials make it looks delicious that way. But for some reason, it just aint for me.

I will say, I've had a few pours over ice that STARTED OFF nice, I think OF100 got a more buttery flavor IIRC... but before the one cube had melted, too much water entered the equation and I got the general tasting notes I mentioned above.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JPBoston View Post
    I've tried many bourbons with ice, including fairly high proofers like OGD 114 and KC120, but I just can't get into it. All I ever taste is a watered down variation of what I poured, and usually an enhanced ethanol flavor.

I wish I did like it over ice... the movies, print ads, and slick commercials make it looks delicious that way. But for some reason, it just aint for me.

I will say, I've had a few pours over ice that STARTED OFF nice, I think OF100 got a more buttery flavor IIRC... but before the one cube had melted, too much water entered the equation and I got the general tasting notes I mentioned above.

indeed...................

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by 393foureyedfox View Post
    indeed...................
    You guys are like twins
    - H

Enthusiast

Mostly drink straight. Ice is only added if I'm mixing some whiskey with lemonade and perhaps, Triple Sec, in summer.