Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Taster

Re: Ice . . . is nice

I tend to drink neat most of the time, but I will put some water in some high proofers sometimes (GTS, WLW). Really depends on the day - sometimes I'll taste it neat and if it's not working for me that day, I'll add a little bit of water. Sometimes in the summer I'll use one or two cubes if I'm in the mood for bourbon but not in the mood for the warming effect of it. I don't drink anything on the rocks though, as what I like about bourbon is the smell and the taste. If the alcohol is there without tasting the way I want, I'd rather not have it at all.

I do find that the friends I've introduced to "good" bourbon usually feel like they have to drink it neat, but end up liking it that way. If they've had bottom shelf stuff and had to put it on the rocks or with water, they tend to think that's the only way they'll like it. It just usually ends up being that the quality of the bourbon is the reason for needing ice and not their palate.

The person, their palate that day, the temperature in the room, the temp outside, the bourbon in question, all make a difference. Basically I think it just depends on too many factors to give an easy answer.
    -Pete

The Voshole

A couple of years ago fishnbowljoe and I were invited by a liquor store to taste samples of WSR they'd been sent to pick from for their next private bottling. The sample I thought was head and shoulders above the rest wasn't one the store had chosen. The guy said a majority of their customers would be adding water or ice to the bourbon so they had to pick accordingly and asked me to try my choice with a little water. Completely destroyed it, going from good to crap with just a few drops of water. I'm curious if any of you ice guys have had similar experiences.
    Lead me not into temptation - I can find the way myself

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    A couple of years ago fishnbowljoe and I were invited by a liquor store to taste samples of WSR they'd been sent to pick from for their next private bottling. The sample I thought was head and shoulders above the rest wasn't one the store had chosen. The guy said a majority of their customers would be adding water or ice to the bourbon so they had to pick accordingly and asked me to try my choice with a little water. Completely destroyed it, going from good to crap with just a few drops of water. I'm curious if any of you ice guys have had similar experiences.
    Absolutely. The ice maker in my freezer makes really small cubes. So for some brands/products i know from trial and error (OF and BT as an example) that regardless of proof, i need to take it real easy on the ice. Maybe 1 small cube to chill it a bit and knock the edge off, anything more than that and i may as well pour it out. Others, regardless of proof seem to hold up better to it.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Vosgar View Post
    . Completely destroyed it, going from good to crap with just a few drops of water. I'm curious if any of you ice guys have had similar experiences.
    I think the wheated offerings are more likely to collapse with water or ice.
    Jon

Guru

This is part of what makes store selected single barrel offerings interesting, the merchant also has to be mindful of how his customers will use the product.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

I like it cold(ER) so I always put in ice. I find that the ice does open up just about any bourbon I'm drinking and make it more favorable....

Virtuoso

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    This is part of what makes store selected single barrel offerings interesting, the merchant also has to be mindful of how his customers will use the product.
    So true! My guess is that most customers are not extreme bourbonites like members of this forum. I know a lot of bourbon drinkers and most don't drink it neat. Just had a little Four Roses SmB with one small cube and then Four Roses SB with one small cube. I am pretty happy. I might just have another...with a cube, of course.

Advanced Taster

Everything gets tasted neat first. Id say 90% of the rest gets a cube or 2. FL is hot and muggy. I like a cool drink.

Connoisseur

Ice . . . is nice

Quote Originally Posted by jonhalter View Post
    Everything gets tasted neat first. Id say 90% of the rest gets a cube or 2. FL is hot and muggy. I like a cool drink.
    Yeah this bout sums it up and succinctly to boot

Enthusiast

I tend to put ice in low quality bourbon, but I take good bourbon neat. If I'm really hot AND not in the mood for a beer (which is a rare combination), I'll add several cubes to some low quality bourbon... but I can count on one hand the number of times that has happened.
    Pete

I hate scotch.