While doing a little research for making the "how bourbon is made" part of my site I came across something I honestly never heard of. Well, perhaps I did and just paid it no mind. Anyways, I did some searching around on here as well as the net and found out a bit about it. I knew with the Sour Mash method it involved leaving some culture or mash from a previous batch to be added to the next batch, similiar to making sourdough bread.

Now in the Sweet Mash process new yeast is processed quickly over a few days.

I 'think' I remember also reading somewhere that the sour mash process results in a lower Ph whereas the sweet mash process usually has a higher resulting Ph but it is loweded with the addition of an acid. Anyways, my questions is this: Do any distilleries use the sweet mash process? I've read on the internet and even on Buffalo Trace's webstie that they di indeed use this process. While reading posts on here I have read no current US distilleries use this process. Anyone have any information to share about this? I see that Chuck has previously written about this process and did make mention that no distilleries use this process. Chuck, do you know if there has been a change in practice over there or do they possibly use both practices for different products or something? Thanks for any input guys...