Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Connoisseur

Re: Thoughts on bourbon tasting party

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    OK now that I've read more carefully...Here's how I would do it. Just use one of the white dogs and then use 3-4 bourbons from that mashbill just to illustrate the differences. So maybe #1 with Benchmark, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and one of the CEHTs. They should all be around the same proof. They're Scotch drinkers so they're used to drinking whiskey at low proofs. Or #2 with Ancient Age, maybe AAA, Elmer T. Lee and Blanton's. Or Wheated and WSR, OWA and Weller 12 (or a VW). In my experience less is often more. The palate and brain can get overwhelmed.
    Your audience will probably enjoy the CEHT SB BiB very much if they are scotch drinkers. Elmer T Lee would be the other one that I think your friends will enjoy
    - H

Virtuoso

Thoughts on bourbon tasting party

While I appreciate Mike's approach (note to self, visit Mike's coffee table) I find that the attendees at my first few meetings this year have responded extremely well to the educational component, and it seems to have aided their enjoyment of the whiskies. Don't be afraid to be an authority if you feel qualified. No matter what you choose to highlight tell them why it matters and they will listen.

Connoisseur

Re: Thoughts on bourbon tasting party

I would make it a tour of house styles. Get bottles of similar age and proof from several different distilleries. Wheat vs. rye is also interesting.