Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Advanced Taster

Re: Jack Daniels Sinatra Select

Interesting notes. In about 3 years time the Jack Daniel's rye will be ready...I'm really curious how that will turn out, and the process it will go through before bottling.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Interesting. But wouldn't the Jack Black be doubled in the same equipment..?

Gary

P.S. The groove thing just doesn't sound right to me, it sounds like it's altering too much the traditional process. At any rate, I cannot see how it improved the whisky (Sinatra release) in this instance.
    yes, bit if I am not mistaken black label is older. Made before the change.this green label is on the money.

Advanced Taster

Interesting about the green label being so good. On the JD website green label is said to be aged not as long, and aged in the bottom of the warehouse where temp fluctuations are less.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I must get some then. One of the things I find about JD is an odd woodiness about it, and I wonder if this comes from the prior toasting gives the barrels (if I am not mistaken), either that or maybe the flushing of the barrels to extract alcohol resident in the wood frame. This woodiness was noticed by Michael Jackson in his late 1980's World Guide To Beer. The flushing method wasn't used then IIRC so perhaps it is the other thing, the prior toasting. Or maybe there is another explanation. But all this to say, I always thought JD would taste better with less wood in it, one reason being it is so low-rye. Anyway this is why too I was let down by the Sinatra release since by scoring the barrels it seems to me even more wood is imparted to the palate.

The Green would have less wood in it and that's a good thing especially if more copper is being used, which would improve overall spirit quality surely.

I've kind of become a Jack fan in recent years and always look for the "best" Jack palate. Once I made a vatting of all the expressions then available (about 10 years ago) and received cheers from some good judges of whisky.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 10-24-2013 at 04:50.

Connoisseur

Well, so much for that price drop I was hoping for. I received an e-mail from an
    area store announcing the "extremely limited" Sinatra bottle will be available in
    Nov. for $195. per bottle. No up front cost for anyone wishing to reserve now.
    John Q.
    Tennessee Squire
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilbertva
    It won't be any cheaper than it is today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan
    Someone will pay it. Someone always pays it.

Guru

This one wasn't really on my list but I'm disappointed to hear it's not as special as the promotion promotes.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Guru

Wasn't planning on picking up any JD, but durned if y'all didn't make the green label sound good.

Guru

Me too, I quit buying JD black for my own use years ago but the green is sounding attractive.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

Every time I've opened a bottle of Green Label it doesn't last very long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free
    One whiskey for every ghost.

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Today downtown at an LCBO tasting counter I sampled this again and the result was 180 degrees from my experience with a sample taken from a bottle sold in Europe. That one was charcoaly, kind of short, lots of flavours but nothing that stood out (for me) as special.

This current one was rich and rounded with a supple texture and fine glints from the rye and corn (that "perfumed" taste some very good straight whiskey has).

I always say every bottle (no matter what brand almost) is different to the last and with the small batches that surely went into this bottling, that must be true even more so here.

A real winner and one of the best straight whiskeys I've ever had - I'm not exaggerating.

Gary