Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Re: Jack Daniels Sinatra Select

Well, vertically anyway, which is being an optimist, especially in this line of business.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-22-2013 at 14:57.

Disciple

Of course anecdotal to actual sales but observed at two separate stores the sale of one each today. I, with the aid of my daughter, as I'm still on crutches and can't get down to sort through the bottom shelf, was at said stores in search of a 100 proof bib whiskey priced at $13.99 that still has a verb before 6 and a noun after .
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

That's hardcore Thad, proof you can't keep a good man down.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Yes, and a good chance to wish again a rapid recovery, Thad, from this medical intervention.

Gary

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    John's opinion has to be taken seriously, and I have no doubt of his advice based on that sample. However, the bottle I had yesterday, and I had another ounce today to confirm the experience, was magisterial. I'm sorry the Squire, John, and other cognoscenti weren't in situ to appreciate. One day this will happen I believe, perhaps though at an elevation which even NASA's rockets don't aim for…

Gary
    Gary, the only thing that matters is that you like what you have. I spiked mine with some JD Single Barrel I have, and all is one with the world. Cheers!
    Publisher and Editor of Whisky Advocate magazine.

Interesting, and mingling is (frequently) second nature to me, as are its close cousins vatting and blending.

Portwood, since you will be at Summerhill LCBO tomorrow, maybe you would be good enough to see if the bottle (almost full today so there is no question it will be the same one) has any batch or other number on it, something of a kind to suggest not all the bottles were made from one batch. Just for the fun of it it would be interesting to know. Certainly the sample I had from the bottle obtained in Europe seemed rather different than this current one..

Of course even if this is the case, it is all good since it emphasizes the artisan-like approach for this kind of special edition. I'd rather a product with interesting and usually not grand differences rather than something consistently brilliant in the same way.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 12-22-2013 at 18:11.

Connoisseur

Hi Gary,
    140123413B

I can't guarantee the code on the sampling bottle is the same since I could not find a number on it. The above code is from a full, sister bottle, that is on display in the sampling room. the code was on the inside of the front label but I could not see evidence of a printed code in the same place on the sampling bottle.

I can't say I'm an expert on anything bourbon in general, or JD in particular, but if I had tasted it blind there is no way I would have picked JD. If pressed, I would have said it was a pot still whiskey - probably Irish. Although the sample was small I would say it is EXCELLENT whisky - too bad about the $300 tag.

By co-incidence I met a guy I follow on twitter that was also trying it and he commented that it must contain older JD whiskies. We both commented on the oily texture of the liquid. The lack of alcohol burn would suggest an older whisky but the wood notes are balanced - which would suggest to me it might not be that old.

Anyway, Thanks for the tip, I don't think I would have tried it if you hadn't pointed to its quality.
    Cheers
    Last edited by portwood; 12-23-2013 at 13:02.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Thanks in turn for all this information, excellent. All your comments resonate with me including viz. the pot still-like, oily quality (oiliness contributes to the smooth finish, also there was an interesting copper-like quality, which is where the Irish comes in). It's a grand one, really.

The Gazebo crowd would love it.

Gary

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Gillman View Post
    Thanks in turn for all this information, excellent. All your comments resonate with me including viz. the pot still-like, oily quality (oiliness contributes to the smooth finish, also there was an interesting copper-like quality, which is where the Irish comes in). It's a grand one, really.

The Gazebo crowd would love it.

Gary
    You're welcome.

I see it sells for about $150 (half the lcbo price) at Binny's. Even though its good & a 1L bottle I still think its steep. There are many other quality bourbons for far less.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Surely a good part of the price must be due to the luxury packaging. I wish a version was made available in a plainer package…

Gary