Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Enthusiast

Re: Jack Daniels Sinatra Select

It's an interesting observation, Gary. From limited experience what I have observed is that American whisky has stayed away from the Scotch over-packaging syndrome. They tend to be more creative with the bottle itself but avoid the boxes/tubes/velvet etc. The sad reality is that American companies may have caught on to the idea that by adding a dollar or two of crap surrounding the bottle they can increase the price by a factor of 10 or 20 of the cost of the extra packaging.
    "Old guys tend to say it like it is." squire

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

This could be. Hopefully though this grooved barrel thing will become a regular offering in a plainer package. I will try to get a bottle in U.S. Duty Free when next there and hopefully it will be the same as or close to this Toronto bottle we tried. If as I think now must have occurred, the grooving was in part of the regular barrel staves (not additional ones suspended into the whiskey), I'd think they would get less red layer because the non-charred parts have no red layer. The bare oak wood would touch the spirit and impart its character which may again explain part of the pot still Irish-like effect (a raw grains, mostly, whiskey aged in a non-charred or at least reused charred barrel). I think this is good for Jack since it is subjected to charring/heating 3 times: 1) the leaching through maple charcoal; 2) the storage in a (still largely) charred barrel, factoring too this is a blend of pure Sinatra and Old No. 7; and 3) the Jack barrels undergo some kind of preliminary toasting, not a charring to be sure but some kind of heat treatment IIRC. So all this wood treatment probably contributes to the charcoaly taste Jack has and if you drop it down a notch, no pun intended, maybe that works an interesting change to the whiskey. Or not. Anyway, quite a bottle that was at Summerhill in Toronto. For the crowd: Summerhill is named after a train station and a train still travels over a bridge whose rail bed extends over what is now the liquor store. It is a very pretty building, restored some years ago by an inspired urban renewal plan.

Gary

Our Summerhill LCBO:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vi...PR_station.jpg

On the page from which the image is taken you can see how the station looked originally and it is remarkably the same to the restoration achieved some years ago.

Gary

My local store just got this back in stock and my jaw hit the floor at the price. I'm an impulsive buyer at times, even finding and buying the JD rye at a discount, but this is way too much for me. My constant affinity for trying new whiskies makes me really want to try it, but I only limit my moron purchases to $30 or $40. I'm very intrigued at how much you guys enjoyed it

Guru

I'm not a big fan of the JD whiskys generally so I'm not curious enough to exchange the going price for a slightly different taste experience. If I were so inclined I would go for the JD Single Barrel which is higher proof (94) and cost 1/3 as much.

Some observations on the aging effect of the grooved stave barrels used for Sinatra have been posted generally and not all are favorable. Gary Gillman has posted some tasting notes here so maybe he can weigh in.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

I was very impressed with the Sinatra I tasted at LCBO. It was rich, complex, sweet, like a bourbon version of a fine malt.

The price is very high. Unfortunately, the packaging surely contributed to this. Anyone from B-F reading should consider putting out similar-quality whiskey in a plainer package. In fact I haven't bought one, I consider the price beyond what I wish to pay even for a superlative product.

The Squire is exactly right about JD Single Barrel - it is a fine value in that it offers a considerable step above regular JD but for much less than the Sinatra. It doesn't have the wood grooving but on the other hand gains authenticity for not doing so. No American whiskey can be said to be more traditional. Buy that one if you can and report taste results, I doubt you will be disappointed. By the way JD is an acquired taste: it took me 30 years but I like it now. I also feel the palate is much improved over the last 10 years and probably closer now to what it was in the 50's than any other time since.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 02-20-2014 at 09:26.

I bought one about a month ago and liked it better than the first bottle I tried (beginning of thread). This one was a little more rich with a bigger mouth feel and was very enjoyable. The first bottle I tasted was from overseas duty free while the one I bought was from the American release. Not sure if anything changed between releases (could have been me also) but it's an excellent pour in my book.

I had the same experience. My first taste was from an overseas DF bottle and the second, the LCBO one which was much better. Odd, sounds like there was some inconsistency in the bottlings, but the ones available here at any rate (from various things I've read) all seem first class.

Gary

Guru

When you think about it there probably are different vattings, being a regular production item.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Tried it recently - a WOW whisky for me. Totally worth a $150 price tag IMHO...