Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

Do you keep a whiskey journal?

Interested to see the spread, who here keeps a journal with tasting on notes, batches tasted and the like?
    My better half has been nagging me for a while now to record these details of the whiskeys I drink, I do think its a good idea but lazyness has won out so far.

Re: Do you keep a whiskey journal?

I just started a journal before going on the KY bourbon trail in June. My journal is simply a series of entries into an Evernote notebook. While it's not an exhaustive analysis like the Whisky Bible, I've made enough notes on each tasting to help me remember what I've already tasted and liked (or not), and what I might be interested in buying in the future. The search mechanism within Evernote should help me find relevant notes easily, and since I can access them even from my iPhone, I can look at them anytime I'm in a store.

Connoisseur

I keep a whiskey spreadsheet that tracks what I've tasted, whats currently open, what, how much and size bunkered, taste evaluation, and detaials on proof, age, mash bill, etc.

Name Tried Bar Mini Grade Notes 200ml 375ml 500ml 750ml 1L 1.75L Pints Fifth Quarts 1/2 Gal Total Distillery Year UPC? Govt Warn Corn % Rye % Wheat % Barley % Total % Proof Age
    Old Grand Dad 114 ND 1 1 **** 6 2 2 3.45 ND 63 27 10 100 114
    Old Grand Dad 114 Beam 1 * 1 0.75 Beam 63 27 10 100 114
    Old Grand-Dad Bonded ND 1 1 **** 4 1 11 13.25 63 27 10 100 100
    Old Grand-Dad 86 ND 1 1 1 **** 4 20 4 1 21.55 63 27 10 100
    Old Grand-Dad 86 Beam 1 1 * 63 27 10 100

The copy paste didn't line p so well but gives you an idea.
    Last edited by Enoch; 08-22-2013 at 03:15.

Guru

Yup. Just a Bento spreadsheet here w all of the relevant purchase data plus tasting notes.

Guru

I have a spreadsheet of my "inventory" with specs, approx fill levels, purchase date, date last poured, etc (so I can easily see how many ounces I have on hand - in case I feel I'm running short). I have a word doc where I keep some of my tasting notes, as well as "tasting homework" (things I've thought about trying as a tasting experiment, or things I've read here that sounded like interesting match-ups). Some of my current homework assignments (no due date thankfully!) are a blind SBS with ORVW 10yr 107 vs OWA 107; MM 84 vs MM 90, and RRSmBSB (110 proof) vs WTRB (108.2). I'll log the results of things like that, but if I try something at a bar - I won't typically jot all of those notes down (probably should as the gray matter starts to go!)
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Connoisseur

Being so completely 'tech-challenged', along with being very lazy by nature, I just keep my pencil & paper notes (actual pencil with graphite, used on actual paper made of wood pulp).
    These are haphazardly stored on the shelves near the Bourbons to which they refer. Not of much use when shopping, or out 'tasting' somewhere other than my own home; but, that's the penalty for being so clueless with info-tech-widgets. I do occasionally reference these pages when deciding what to enjoy or to serve.

Enthusiast

I have a journal where I keep track of purchases and my tasting notes. I found that trying to describe what I am tasting, even though I don't have a great palate, helps develop one. It's fun and I don't do it every time I drink because sometime I just want to relax but I do try to "review" every bottle that I buy. I like the pencil and paper method because it allows me to jot notes down while in my comfy chair, watching a game.

Connoisseur

I used to have a paper journal, then it was a couple of spreadsheet iterations. Some of that is what let to starting a website.
    Richard
    GBS Member rounding out the top 5
    Are you a Whisk(e)y Apostle?

Disciple

No on tasting journal (other than posts here) or inventory logs. I have some personal reasons for this which I won't bore you with but content with my memories and that whatever is my next pour is sure to be great too.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Guru

bibamus, moriendum est
    Sipology Blog