Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: Do you keep a whiskey journal?

I don't but I am jealous of those who do. Honestly, I think I might be the worst person on this site for tasting notes. I pretty much have a like/don't like binary choice. Sometimes I try it after its been open and if it improves then I will take a mental note for all subsequent purchases of that particular bottle. Moreover, my bunker is not big enough to need an inventory list, though I wish it were. I sometimes think I am not doing something right if I am not tasting all the specific complex flavors and taking notes, but so be it.

Connoisseur

Do you keep a whiskey journal?

I am planning on starting one, the old school way that is. You can get a very nice tasting journal by signing up www.singlepotstill.com. I was shocked at how nice it was just for signing up with Midelton Distillery. Worth the time and effort. I think it took about 2 months to get here.

Advanced Taster

I keep a journal of tasting notes. Or at least try to. My wife got me a couple of those 33 Drams of Whiskey books (http://www.33books.com/products/33-drams-of-whiskey). They're neat journals and cheap plus eco-friendly. I also, store about 4oz of each bottle for the bunker archive--got the idea from a few other SBers.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    I keep a journal of tasting notes. Or at least try to. My wife got me a couple of those 33 Drams of Whiskey books (http://www.33books.com/products/33-drams-of-whiskey). They're neat journals and cheap plus eco-friendly. I also, store about 4oz of each bottle for the bunker archive--got the idea from a few other SBers.
    Just ordered a three pack to try. Seems like a great idea when traveling.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by matthewdc View Post
    I do like those - I have one that I'll use when I go to a Scotch tasting or something along those lines!
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Disciple

I enjoy jotting down notes on different releases and then comparing my notes to others such a J.Hansell and J.Pyle for instance to see if what I am experiencing is similar to others.I think that this is a bit of a cheat in some such way to myself,but I am often surprised by the similar yet often less descript reviews/notes I come up with.The other thing I often enjoy is that note you can't quite put your finger on,but after reading someone else's review it makes perfect sense and is rather prominent at this point and all seems to just fall into place.
    "To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human."
    Larry Wachowski

Enthusiast

I don't but wish I did. We were talking the other night about ECTaylor Rye .. had we tasted it and did we like it? Nobody remembered! Sooo we order shots and then remember .. yes .. we had tasted it .. and we were not impressed. Notes would have saved a couple of bucks and could have been drinking a pour I enjoyed. Like the "33 Drams" booklet idea .. and Josh, your notes are so complete. I've always enjoyed your notes .. so .. gotta start.
    Jon

Enthusiast

Whiskey Log.jpg

I use this excel file, I also track our wine stocks, and have a nice dilution calculator in it. Yeah I am a geek all around, not just a bourbon geek. The "next" list is a lot longer than this snapshot shows.
    Last edited by DrBob; 08-22-2013 at 21:40.

Connoisseur

I do not. I vacillate between starting one and staying just as lazy as I am. So far, lazy has won! I would do a paper version if I did, seems more permanent than binary bits floating around in a box.
    "this hobby is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, check yourself, because you're doing it wrong." Charles Cowdery

Guru

You can print out said binary bits, ya know.