Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guru

Re: Do you keep a whiskey journal?

I did for years, hand written with a fountain pen. Its been misplaced and I lack the energy to start another one.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

I had a spreadsheet with 50+ American whiskies on it with very basic tasting notes, a 1-10 rating, proof, the mashbill, the age, and the char level of the barrel. The goal was to try to create a correlation coefficient with the various input variables to guide me to "The best whiskey for me". However, even if I had complete information, the problem is that I'm simply not a good enough taster to have consistant enough scores and notes experience to experience. What I call an 8 today I might call a 6 tomorrow.

Even without hard math data, it did help me to realize that I like 20-35 percent rye, 90 - 105 proof, and 7-10 years as my sweet spot.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Even without hard math data, it did help me to realize that I like 20-35 percent rye, 90 - 105 proof, and 7-10 years as my sweet spot.
    For me the best part of keeping a journal was how a pattern emerged showing what I really liked.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Advanced Taster

I don't keep a formal journal with tasting notes or anything that detailed...I'm far too lazy for that. I do keep a running Microsoft Word document and have assigned a very loose rating on everything I've ever tried. I only add to it when I try something new, or I experience something that completely changes my impression from something I've tried before.

closest thing I have to a journal is memory and hundreds of open bottles. a formal journal is a good idea and wished I'd kept one.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by B.B. Babington View Post
    closest thing I have to a journal is memory and hundreds of open bottles. a formal journal is a good idea and wished I'd kept one.
    I think this motivates me as much as anything to get started, regreting it later would piss me off.
    Myl approach will be a leatherbound journal stashed amongst the liquor cabinet. Although a database would be the logical choice, for me it wouldnt work, handwritten has the timeless personal touch that feels part of the whole whiskey experience,, and without getting too misty eyed I might even entertain the idea that someday it may mean something to my children or grandchildren.

Taster

I had a spreadsheet with 50+ American whiskies on it with very basic tasting notes, a 1-10 rating, proof, the mashbill, the age, and the char level of the barrel. The goal was to try to create a correlation coefficient with the various input variables to guide me to "The best whiskey for me".
    It makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one with that dream. I post my math online, along with the tasting notes: DFB. Let me know if you had a particular analysis in mind that I'm not doing. Let the search for the bourbon equation continue...

Enthusiast

no ..........................
    "Sat down to my supper twas a bottle of red whiskey" -Dire Wolf

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    It makes me happy to know that I'm not the only one with that dream. I post my math online, along with the tasting notes: DFB. Let me know if you had a particular analysis in mind that I'm not doing. Let the search for the bourbon equation continue...
    Nice website! I inluded char level of the barrel and mashbill, and did not inclde distillery. I think using the distillery could be tricky since not all products from one distillery use the same yeast or the same mash. Breaking it down further is also dfficult because the information is not 100% available. Actually breaking down an rSq didn't work for me, but the data itself did for a very basic analysis.

Taster

Nice website! I inluded char level of the barrel and mashbill, and did not inclde distillery. I think using the distillery could be tricky since not all products from one distillery use the same yeast or the same mash. Breaking it down further is also dfficult because the information is not 100% available. Actually breaking down an rSq didn't work for me, but the data itself did for a very basic analysis.
    Thanks! Yeah, distillery, mashbill, char all seem to be best guess sort of information. I agree, collecting the data has been more helpful than its analysis so far. The biggest thing I learned from running the numbers was that I seem to like expensive whiskey the most