Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Disciple

Re: Do you keep a whiskey journal?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, distillery, mashbill, char all seem to be best guess sort of information. I agree, collecting the data has been more helpful than its analysis so far. The biggest thing I learned from running the numbers was that I seem to like expensive whiskey the most
    Well, it's not perfectly linear, but age probably correlates with expense more than anything else. There's a thread around here somewhere that includes the mash of most major brands and the char level for most of them.

Disciple

Sorry, should have searched before posting. This is the thread I was talking about.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forum...5-Whiskey-Tree

Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon Boiler View Post
    Well, it's not perfectly linear, but age probably correlates with expense more than anything else. There's a thread around here somewhere that includes the mash of most major brands and the char level for most of them.
    1) Check out the bottom of my main page for the correlations. I've had over 100 whiskies and age and proof are equally correlated with price. I had suspected that age would have been much higher as well.
    2) Yes, I'd been considering taking the mashbills of the whiskey tree (I have that thread bookmarked). I couldn't in good conscience post in on my site, but I could certainly use the data for some analysis. I believe that will be my next bourbon project.

Novice

I use an app called Whiskey Log on my iPhone. It is somewhat basic, but I can enter all the things I want to keep track of. Though using a phone app seems short sighted, as I only keep a cell phone for a year or possibly a touch longer. Oh well. LOL!
    Last edited by RA302; 08-27-2013 at 18:54. Reason: I suck at grammer apparently

Taster

I just had to reply to this to state that I'm happy to hear there are a bunch of other "geeks" out there. I have an Excel spreadsheet that has my inventory as well as some tasting notes. I also keep data on prices and where I find stuff in case I want to go back for anything.

Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Bourserker View Post
    I just had to reply to this to state that I'm happy to hear there are a bunch of other "geeks" out there. I have an Excel spreadsheet that has my inventory as well as some tasting notes. I also keep data on prices and where I find stuff in case I want to go back for anything.
    Same for me with purchases from 2009 to the present. I have two sheets, one for unopened bottles and one for open or emptied.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Bourserker View Post
    I do the same as well (have a 'Research' spreadsheet separate from my 'Inventory' one). I'll take pictures in the stores and transcribe when I get home, although if I can get "in" with someone at a store - I'll give them my business unless there is a huge price difference. Mostly what I see are small differences ($3 or less), but sometimes you'll see a major difference (for example, one store puts sells Balvenie 12yr Doublewood for $39, where it is $50 most everywhere else). Plus, the 'research' of stopping by stores to take pictures helps keep me up to date with stuff that hits the shelves I might have missed.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Taster

I keep it all in my head. I never forget those pours I disliked and always remember those I like. My problem is the stuff I like is too hard to find so I'm always searching new labels. Years ago I started a spreadsheet on cigars and quickly found the same answer - I know what I like and while I still experiment I always come back to my standards. And speaking of dislike I have an unopened bottle of Glenlivet 21 - anyone (in the Atlanta area) care to trade?

Taster

sorry again, I keep getting a message saying "database error"

Taster

sorry - I kept getting a message saying "database error"