Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Connoisseur

Re: First bottle of scotch?

Quote Originally Posted by ebo View Post
    The standard Glenmorangie 10 is a good introduction to Scotch. It's hard to go wrong with Aberlour 12 if you are looking for a sherried Scotch.
    I like these recommendations at under $40. Move to a higher price if you like these.
    Tequila Tourist - Blog & Reviews
    Tequila Tourist on Facebook

There's the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power Way!

So I ended up with a bottle of Highland Park 12. And I must say I'm glad I got it. Really really enjoy it. The others that were suggested will be considered for future purchases. Pretty much everything you guys mentioned they had at Binnys. The peatyness of this actually balances really nicely with the other flavors. This bottle will not last long. I can tell already.

Thanks again!!

Guru

Good call on the HP12. My first bottle of Scotch was a Laphroaig 10yr after having it at a tasting and loving how different it was from anything I'd tasted before (although if you "like" peat but don't "love" peat - that might not be a good first bottle). I like to think of HP12 as a "gateway Islay" dram - enough to either get you interested and want more, or tell you not to cross that bridge
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Advanced Taster

My fist scotch was gifted to me and it was Highland Park 12, as well. All I could think was, "Wow, this tastes like great mezcal."

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Clavius View Post
    I love Islays. But for a great non-Islay that is (probably) easy to find most everywhere and is under $100 maybe check out Glenlivet 16yr Nadurra. It's cask strength, non-chill filtered and damn tasty! I think it runs around $60-70, depending on where you are of course.
    I agree with Nadurra. On a Scotch forum Nadurra was mentioned in a thread "if i could only have 3 bottles..." several times. Longmorn 15yo is also a great one. I wouldn't just stick to single malts.....Ballantines 17yo and Cutty Sark 25yo are my top 2 blends under $100.

Disciple

First bottle of scotch?

Quote Originally Posted by elbowguru View Post
    My fist scotch was gifted to me and it was Highland Park 12, as well. All I could think was, "Wow, this tastes like great mezcal."
    Scotch came before mezcal for me, but this is about the direct analog of how I felt when I tried some good mezcal.
    Jim

Wait there's such a thing a "good mescal"??

Guru

Yes, apparently, something to do with the used Bourbon barrels it's aged in.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Disciple

First bottle of scotch?

Nothing to do with any kind of barrels for the ones I like to drink. Try some Del Maguey Chichicapa if you have a chance.
    Jim

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by HighInTheMtns View Post
    Nothing to do with any kind of barrels for the ones I like to drink. Try some Del Maguey Chichicapa if you have a chance.
    Chichicapa is indeed very nice. I also recommend the Del Maguey Tobala. A bit harder to find and a bit more expensive but very good. I would also recommend the Del Maguey San Luis del Rio Azul but it was a limited offering and may be hard to find now. Blue Weber Agave grown in Oaxaca (some was sent there years ago during the late 90's and early 2000's when the Blue Agave was affected by a disease in the Jalisco region to try to preserve the species) and produced like a mezcal.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum