Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Enthusiast

It seems to me that...

It seems to me that bourbon (or whiskey in general) is one of the few industries where the consumer base demands honesty. Maybe I'm more aware of our priority in truth due to my involvement with this community, as well as the industry. Anyone else agree or disagree? I'm sure there are plenty of examples that would negate my point, but it's interesting to observe how the bourbon community holds honesty in such high regard, compared to other consumables.

Or maybe it's just us? Maybe we're just the types that are concerned with pedigree, we want to know what blades of grass our cow ate before it was slaughtered, we want to know the name of who sewed our pants together, we want to know what square mile our coffee beans were harvested from...

Disciple

Re: It seems to me that...

I think you're right - it's us. I think that the group on this forum is more interested than the consumer market at large, in part because (and this is not intended to sound arrogant) we're more educated about the process, the difference in mashbills, and other variables that influence the final product. Jim Beam is the best selling bourbon in the world, yet I don't know anyone who drinks more if it than anything else (or ever drinks very much of it at all!) Even with the current growing interest in bourbon and whiskey, I don't think the education level is growing at the same clip.

I'm personally interested in knowing as much as I can because I think it gives me a better chance to pick a bottle I've never tasted and have a rough estimate as to how much I might enjoy it. But on the flip side, bottles I have from NDPs that blow my hair back aren't loved any less because I don't know where they came from. I think they just stand less of a chance of my buying blind before I've tried them.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Guru

Winston when it comes to the honesty issue I simply want to know what I'm getting. If a NDP like Michters sells a 10 year old sourced whisky for three times what the source charges for the same stuff under another label I want to know why I'm being charged so much.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    Winston when it comes to the honesty issue I simply want to know what I'm getting. If a NDP like Michters sells a 10 year old sourced whisky for three times what the source charges for the same stuff under another label I want to know why I'm being charged so much.
    But Michter's is distillery of the year, with that in mind it shouldn't matter where the whiskey comes from

Guru

As for the rest there's an undeniable interest in the product and how it's made but we're no different from the watch collectors who can speak knowledgeably at length about a very expensive high end watch that uses a sourced movement identical to ones used in much less costly brands and keeps no better time.

Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    ... but it's interesting to observe how the bourbon community holds honesty in such high regard, compared to other consumables.
    Perhaps if the alcoholic beverage industry was forced (by law) to conform to the same labeling/nutritional listing requirements as other consumables we would stop asking for so much "honesty".

Guru

portwood has a good point. We have consumer laws to protect us with foodstuffs and consumables and very stiff fines when those laws are violated. Whisky labels should at least be mandated to disclose the DSP who actually made the product.

Virtuoso

portwood has a good point. We have consumer laws to protect us with foodstuffs and consumables and very stiff fines when those laws are violated. Whisky labels should be mandated to disclose the DSP who actually made the product.
    Completely agree. Working retail, I've noticed that the DSP number is almost always on the case the bottles are shipped in (at least with whiskey). Not sure if it's required by law. But I don't see what the big deal would be to put the DSP somewhere on the bottle itself as well.

Guru

Or if it's a mingling of barrels from different distillerys, listing them in order of percentage would not disclose any proprietary formulas.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

portwood has a good point. We have consumer laws to protect us with foodstuffs and consumables and very stiff fines when those laws are violated. Whisky labels should at least be mandated to disclose the DSP who actually made the product.
    The rules and regulations legally set forth to produce bourbon are very specific. The what, where, how, etc are pretty well covered. Personally, I feel secure that I am "protected" because of these regs, without the need for additional consumer protection laws. But, the solution to your problem Squire, is exactly how you indeed, handle it. You choose to, or not to, buy!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama