Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Guru

Re: It seems to me that...

Most enthusiasts care, but we're a pretty small drop overall. I don't think the general public gives two cares about most if any of this truthfully.

Guru

Joe I'm not suggesting Bourbon is improperly made or contains harmful adjuncts, not at all, what were are discussing is Truth in Advertising and content labeling. There are no such Federally mandated regulations regarding Bourbon because if there were the information we are talking about would already be on the label.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

There seem to be many similarities of what you all have said with the cigar industry, as I understand it.

Guru

Good Heavens yes, it would seem that those products with a heavy sin tax are rather laxly patrolled.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Sorry Squire, if I misinterpreted you reference to " consumer laws to protect us with foodstuffs and consumables....". If it says Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey on the label, you pretty much know what's in the bottle. Let your taste buds take it from there.

All of this is not to say that I don't welcome and appreciate any information that a whiskey seller wishes to put on his label. I just don't get too hung up on it, purchase my whiskies accordingly, and really am not looking for another Act of Congress.

Like Sean mentioned, outside of us 7,500, or so, bourbon geeks, nobody else really gives a hooey...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Like Sean mentioned, outside of us 7,500, or so, bourbon geeks, nobody else really gives a hooey...
    That's an excellent technical term to describe the lax public attitude.

Enthusiast

Becareful what you ask for. No law cames with out a price tag. I think some times a little secrecy is a good thing. Sense Michter's was brought up Ill use them as an example. (Michter's 10y SB is a favorite of mine right now). Look at what we payed for PHC 10 wheated and Cognac finished bourbon $80. Yes we know where it was from, but it was more expensive than Michter's 10y. What if where the bourbon was sourced from they could get more money for it from Michter's than the general public. I think we should be critical of the product in the bottle more than anything. As for as where it came from their is only a handful of companies putting bourbon into the barrel. With the help of the SB members and process of elimination we should be able to figure out most of it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by MyOldKyDram View Post
    Most enthusiasts care, but we're a pretty small drop overall. I don't think the general public gives two cares about most if any of this truthfully.
    As with most everything in life...as I get ready to smoke the ribs I bought from Costco today for $2.99 a pound versus the Farmers market guy who wants $8.99 a pound but I can know the name of the pig and its last meal and....
    Thad

BTOTY-2011

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by squire View Post
    That's an excellent technical term to describe the lax public attitude.
    Yeah, but each of us is one of those dunderheads in the lax public attitude on something...Somewhere, someone, is appalled at each of our uninformed decisions on something...
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

I'm with those who look at primarily bottle contents. I don't really care where it comes from or who makes it/mingles/ages or whatever.

More laws won't really help because there are too many variables to capture.

Many years experience tasting has convinced me of the following:

1) You can't always be sure who makes what. For some years after its fire, Heaven Hill had make distilled at Jim Beam and Brown-Forman - when these whiskeys came out, no one knew for quite a while (except IIRC for Ritt bond and even then only after a period when older labels were still being used, because someone drew it to the attention of the company).

2) Companies sometimes age the product in warehouses owned by others, or in their own rick houses which may be spread across half the state. Each will confer a different character. Then they are combined to make something that will often change character over the years for this or other reasons.

3) Weather changes all the time and this inevitably will affect the whiskeys over typically the 4-6 years aging most get. It can affect the cereals being grown.

5) Yeast can subtly change character.

6) Market conditions may mean the whiskey you get is younger or older than a few years back - sometimes stated on the label, sometimes not.

7) Each bottle of a brand is in my experience somewhat different than the last one. Sometimes I won't buy a brand for a time because it's going through a blue period shall we say. (Apologies to Picasso). I felt this was the case some years ago when almost all brands of BT seemed to have an earthy loamy dank taste - that's been over for some time. But when I bought brands that had that taste (IMO), what did it avail me to know it was from BT in Frankfort?

8) Industry sales of labels and businesses mean that stock sometimes goes to the buyer - so what you get may have been made somewhere else. I believe this was so with Weller 107 and I've never liked the brand as much since the old Distillery No. 1 stock apparently was exhausted. (And some of that was older than 7 years towards the end supposedly, so how could that taste like something exactly 7 years old?).

There are other reasons but these are the main ones. I wish I could get that 18 year old BMH rye, the one bottled for that small California outfit (can't recall the name). That was great whiskey! Don't care where it's from, never did although it was interesting to hear speculation about it.

It's the whiskey and it can come down to a bottle by bottle decision even for the same brand, much less where it's from that gives me any real assurance.

Of course this is my view and people are entitled to take the opposite one or not buy non-identified brands, that's their choice, I seek only to explain why IMHO knowing what the label states, or seems to state, often is bootless to the experience the drink will actually deliver.

Gary
    Last edited by Gillman; 08-25-2013 at 13:44.