Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Guru

Re: It seems to me that...

I can't respond to that Gary being caught up in the mental image of Shoeless Joe Jackson working in a liquor store where he sold a fifth of Bourbon to Ty Cobb.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Virtuoso

It seems to me that...

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Yeah, but each of us is one of those dunderheads in the lax public attitude on something...Somewhere, someone, is appalled at each of our uninformed decisions on something...
    I can see it now "your going to buy THAT dog food(insert any item here) you idiot! Don't you know that this other one is made from the same ingredients? At the same factory!!! And it's cheaper!!!! You just casually walk up to the isle and grab whatever bag looks good at the price you want to spend?" It must be so frustrating for the dog food snobs...
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"
    T. Durden

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Squire, of course. First things first.

But waiting for your rejoinder when that image fades.

Gary

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Restaurant man View Post
    I can see it now "your going to buy THAT dog food(insert any item here) you idiot! Don't you know that this other one is made from the same ingredients? At the same factory!!! And it's cheaper!!!!
    I'm reminded of a tv show years ago about food in America. Not an expose or anything, just a documentary on food from farm to factory to store. At a big factory canned corn was coming down the line when the workers switched the label from the expensive brand to a generic one. It wasn't planned that way, the cameras just happened to be rolling while filming the factory production. What was recorded though was exactly the same product was being sold under much cheaper store brands.

When interviewed by the crew later the factory workers all said they only bought generic brands.

Virtuoso

I come at this from the perspective of a wine guy - "wine is grown in the vineyard". You can't make good wine out of bad grapes, but you can f- up great grapes in the making of the wine. Plenty of wine labels don't grow their own grapes - they source them. Knowing the terroir of the raw materials tells you what is likely to be in the bottle, and you can make a spot buy decision if you generally like that appellation or vineyard and what a bottle from there normally would cost given the vintage and age, and hoping the winemaker didn't mess it up. You can make a judgment in the store with this knowledge as to whether to take a flyer on an unknown label.

I want to know where it came from because it informs my purchasing decision. If I know the source is HH and I like their products generally, I'm more likely to take a chance on purchasing the NDP product especially if the person picking the barrels has a reputation of knowing what they are doing (HW comes to mind). Otherwise, I wait to see what others say about it and delay my purchasing decision, if I ever decide to pull the trigger.
    Mark

Bourbonian of the Year 2011

Well, for years I bought HH bourbon and most of it had a marked eucalyptus taste (IMO). And then after a time that characteristic faded. And then for some years some HH bourbon, and rye, didn't come from HH become of the fire. And then they started to again, from a different distillery though, or at least the make was albeit aged in Bardstown. So knowing that something may come from HH doesn't really tell me that much. Added to that, even in periods where source seems assured, one bottle of EC 12 can often seem quite different from another, IMO (I find this a good thing by the way). And the other companies all have a version of this, not in the same way exactly, but e.g. we learn that one may start to scour the barrels to get out the absorbed bourbon. Another may acquire new warehousing capacity, purchased or newly-built, whose aged whiskey may be rather different from that from other rick houses. For quite some time WR was all-Louisville whiskey, then that changed. And so on. More info is better than less I guess, but I read what everyone says and what the label says and then I'll try it. If I like the actual taste, I'll buy again. Ditto with almost no knowledge and I gave the example of that wonderful CVI rye. On the first buy I might take a chance (all relative in this context), but I may hit a winner and often have. In fact some of the best buys I've made have been NDP bottlings, e.g. the Woerner's bourbons (a private label) in San Francisco of about 15 years ago, most of the earlier Van Winkle bourbons, the Vintage series (Willett's I believe but after that who knows?).

I'm not knocking how others view it but seeking further to explain how I approach it.

Putting it a different way, often I've been disappointed in the result because a well-known label didn't live up to a previous bottling. This is though part of the inherent variability of bourbon - I shouldn't and don't expect more but by the same token buying NDPs after either taking a chance or seeking whatever information is available (e.g., you find out a private bottling is aged S-W), is at least and often more rewarding.

Gary

Disciple

I buy all Bourbons that I like, whether NDP or not. And while I know that many on the board will state that they only care what the juice tastes like, I always want to know where it was distilled. Why? Because it's FUN for me to find out. I enjoy figuring out the puzzle. To me, that's part of being a connoisseur. I wanna know where each and every label came from simply because I'm a geek about it.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Balcones Winston View Post
    It seems to me that bourbon (or whiskey in general) is one of the few industries where the consumer base demands honesty. Maybe I'm more aware of our priority in truth due to my involvement with this community, as well as the industry. Anyone else agree or disagree? I'm sure there are plenty of examples that would negate my point, but it's interesting to observe how the bourbon community holds honesty in such high regard, compared to other consumables.

Or maybe it's just us? Maybe we're just the types that are concerned with pedigree, we want to know what blades of grass our cow ate before it was slaughtered, we want to know the name of who sewed our pants together, we want to know what square mile our coffee beans were harvested from...
    I disagree. The reason you hear such a demand for transparency in the world of distillates is that there has been so much dishonesty/misinformation for so long.

I'm not saying that HH or BT are trying to intentionally lie to anyone, but when I started to get into Whiskey I thought, "Why the hell do they list "Elijah Craig" or "Old Prentice" as the distillery on these various labels? It's an odd practice who's time has past. I put this in the harmless but weird misinformation camp.

But now add to those weird practices operations like Michter's and Templeton, who actually do outright lie, and I would say that the industry has some serious honesty issues. (And don't get me started on all the "distilleries" that purchase NGS from another part of the country, rectify it, and call it a "local/artisinal" vodka.) These fall into the dishonesty/pants-on-fire/you're-full-of-shit camp.

Guru

That's Mr. Pants-on-Fire to you Sir and we'll have you know our shit is so refined it lacks any odor and is not intended for you lot who can't afford it anyway.

Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by White Dog View Post
    I disagree. The reason you hear such a demand for transparency in the world of distillates is that there has been so much dishonesty/misinformation for so long.

I'm not saying that HH or BT are trying to intentionally lie to anyone, but when I started to get into Whiskey I thought, "Why the hell do they list "Elijah Craig" or "Old Prentice" as the distillery on these various labels? It's an odd practice who's time has past. I put this in the harmless but weird misinformation camp.

But now add to those weird practices operations like Michter's and Templeton, who actually do outright lie, and I would say that the industry has some serious honesty issues. (And don't get me started on all the "distilleries" that purchase NGS from another part of the country, rectify it, and call it a "local/artisinal" vodka.) These fall into the dishonesty/pants-on-fire/you're-full-of-shit camp.
    Good point on the fake distilleries from the majors and overall effect that has. And I just had another encounter this weekend, Templeton drinkers cannot be convinced in any way, shape or form that it is made in any other place than Iowa.
    Thad

BTOTY-2011