Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flasks

Advanced Taster

Flasks

Most of the threads on this are quite old, so would appreciate your help on the above.
    For some reason, I'm guessing that you "flask" guys have multiple ones, either because
    of different uses and/or because something was "wrong" with the one you were using, so
    you threw it in the drawer and replaced it.
    So, anything I should look for, or avoid, in my shopping?

Connoisseur

Re: Flasks

I am no expert. Most of my flask use is limited to cheapo plastic travels flasks as I would hate to have a nice flask confiscated at a game or concert. That being said, I do have 2 Stanley flasks that look like an old green Stanley thermos, and I love them.

Guru
    The random 200ml glass bottles work well too. That said, I've got an assortment of stainless steel flasks from bourbon/whisky festivals that I don't really use. I also have the Stanley flask & a Snowpeak Titanium flask that I often use when on the trails.
    ¡Geaux Tigers! - ¡Visca el Barça!

"Really though, my hands are sore. The tool was doing it's thing with a flex hose." -Barrel_Proof

Advanced Taster

Pardon my ignorance, but is the inside of ALL flasks glass, and then it boils down to looks? I'm sure it's not that easy..........

Virtuoso

I use stripped 200ml bottles as well. Hard to beat for the price, considering they always seem to have some whiskey in them to start. I've got several steel flasks that I've used in the past and are engraved, but I prefer to see what I'm drinking for whatever reason.

Disciple

Flasks

Unless I'm doing something that I'm afraid will break the bottle, I'm on the 200ml reuse bandwagon too.
    Jim

Guru

Bottles of bourbon or other spirits in a plastic quasi flask shape (the Jim Beam "travel" bottles come to mind. I have seen them in 500ml and 750ml I think) are what I use to save the weight of glass and avoid risk of breakage.

Plus you get the bonus of whiskey, if not the best stuff in the world. Although it is perfect to use to fill up a fancy bottle for your bourbon and coke guzzling friends...

REI used to have several plastic and stainless stell flask options available. Haven't checked in a while.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCigarGuy View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but is the inside of ALL flasks glass, and then it boils down to looks? I'm sure it's not that easy..........
    I think you want stainless steel on the inside of a metal flask. If it is plastic then it is going to be plastic on the inside. Some claim to be BPA free plastic material.
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by tanstaafl2 View Post
    I think you want stainless steel on the inside of a metal flask. If it is plastic then it is going to be plastic on the inside. Some claim to be BPA free plastic material.
    Yeah. Would want stainless steel rather then plastic, but, think would want glass instead of stainless steel?
    I'm guessing that if I can figure out, then avoid, the "made in China" crap, the sealing material they use on the stainless steel
    that will be touching the precious nectar should be ok?

Enthusiast

I have a few stainless steel flasks. All seem to provide a good seal. The first thing I learned was that I needed a funnel to fill the flask.