Welcome to the Straightbourbon.com Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flasks

Virtuoso

Re: Flasks

Yeah, discovered that on my first attempt as well.

Guru

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherCigarGuy View Post
    Yeah. Would want stainless steel rather then plastic, but, think would want glass instead of stainless steel?
    I'm guessing that if I can figure out, then avoid, the "made in China" crap, the sealing material they use on the stainless steel
    that will be touching the precious nectar should be ok?
    Unless you are leaving the whiskey in the flask for an extended period of time (weeks to months, which I would not recommend anyway) I am not sure it makes a bit of difference if it is stainless steel or plastic. The chinese made stuff I suppose is a bit of a crap shoot except that just about all of it is the chinese made stuff, including the freebies from most distilleries.

Quote Originally Posted by fricky View Post
    I have a few stainless steel flasks. All seem to provide a good seal. The first thing I learned was that I needed a funnel to fill the flask.
    And a funnel is definitely a good idea!
    That yella whiskey runnin' down my throat like honey dew vine water and I took another slash…

Nullum Gratuitum Prandium
    Ne Illegitimi Carborundum

Disciple

I've got a few in different sizes (ranging 2oz to 6oz). I like to use those when traveling since they won't break (all stainless), although I did have one that developed a leak (I suspect due to a pressure change in the checked luggage, as I noticed it when I unpacked at my destination). I do like glass 200 mL bottles for just bumming around with though.
    Gary
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much of good whiskey is barely enough." - Mark Twain
    "Because Whiskey Matters!" - David Perkins

Virtuoso

Now y'all have done it I'm going to have to buy some 200 mL bottles.

Bourbonian Of The Year 2013 and Guru

Quote Originally Posted by TunnelTiger View Post
    Now y'all have done it I'm going to have to buy some 200 mL bottles.
    It even gets better!!!! You posted earlier about mrstunneltiger givin ' you a bit of grief about your buying habits in this new hobby. Right? (Join the club, by the way.) Well, here's what ya do... You just go and tell her you totally agree, and you're only gonna buy them tiny 200 ml bottles cause they're cheaper and take up less room! Two birds with one stone, as I see it....ooooohhhhh yeahhhhh.....Cha-Ching.

Remember, we're here... For YOU!!
    JOE

Wag more.
    Bark less.

"Every bottle is its own learning experience." -- Sensei Ox-sama

Virtuoso

I see a trip to my local store tomorrow, cha-ching. It's good know I have friends here who are looking out for my best interests.

Guru

Yes, with all deference to her we're on your side, one for all and all that.
    We're Bourbon Geeks, it's who we are, it's what we do.

Enthusiast

Big proponent of flask use here. They have a little more style than a bottle, but that's just me, I don't judge. For concerts or games where a chance of confiscation exists, I'll use the ones that come in gift sets around the holidays or other such replaceable, non- sentimental items. At the other end of the spectrum, I have some limited edition or gift flasks that are pretty much for display only. In the middle are the rest that get frequent use. One key thing I have found is to look for flasks with the lid secured to the flask in some way if you will be using them outside; beach, hiking, etc; dropping a tiny flask lid is way to easy, especially if sharing. Funnels do make things a lot easier as well, but you can do without if you're careful.

Advanced Taster

Quote Originally Posted by Happyhour24x7 View Post
    One key thing I have found is to look for flasks with the lid secured to the flask in some way if you will be using them outside; beach, hiking, etc; dropping a tiny flask lid is way to easy, especially if sharing. Funnels do make things a lot easier as well, but you can do without if you're careful.
    That's the kinda thing I would never think about. Thanks!
    I'm thinking IF you keep a funnel with the bottle, you'll never need to find a funnel when you go to refill?
    They, generally, don't come with any drinking vessel, do they? You are either nipping it straight from the flask or using
    whatever is where you are?(styrofoam cup, etc.)

Virtuoso

I've been using the Nalgene 4oz rectangular leakproof bottles for years. The mouth is wide enough that you don't need a funnel. I get mine at The Container Store here in Houston, but their online site doesn't offer the 4oz size.

Here is place that sells the Nalgene 4oz rectangular leakproof bottles, they have other sizes too:
    http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...4605&catid=661